We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North or South

Which Devon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, UK
reviews: 6
North or South

Hi

I dont know Devon at all but would like to go for a summer break in August. Can anybody advise whether north or south devon is preferable and any particular area for a summer holiday? We are a couple with a baby and toddler. Would like to be near beaches, nice villages/towns, places to eat, nice countryside for walking etc...dont like anywhere too big and busy/arcades/bars etc..

We are going self-catering and have found somewhere near Buck Mills in north devon but not sure what the surrounding area is like e.g. are there beaches suitable for toddler?

thanks for any help! Sorry for the breadth of the question!

UK
reviews: 9
1. Re: North or South

hi, I'm not familiar with your choice but looking at the location on google map it looks like it could be quite remote. I might suggest somewhere like Instow / Appledore a bit further up the coast which sit either side of the River Torridge. I have been to this area and it's lovely, esp. for kids and gives easy access to North Devon. A little further up is Croyde which is also very suitable for families and has a lot of self catering offerings.

Barnstaple, United...
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
reviews: 169
2. Re: North or South

Buck Mills is lovely, a remote village near the seaside with great coastal walking. You are not far from Clovelly (a pretty private village famous for herring fishing) and the golden sands beach at Westward Ho! which is highly suitable for little people (although it is a bit touristy and tacky in the town, the beach is fab). As mentioned Instow has a nice beach, too, and you are close to the Big Sheep, which my niece and nephew used to love when they were little:

http://www.thebigsheep.co.uk/index.html

Hartland is also excellent for walking the coast and Bideford is a popular haunt for visitors, too.

Exeter, UK
reviews: 28
3. Re: North or South

EAST!

Sorry, I know you were asking North or South (and both are great), but given how you describe your party and what you are after, I would strongly suggest you look at the Jurassic Coast area in East Devon. Great for young families with pretty coastline, some good beaches (most pebble, a few sandy), and lovely small scale attractions such as Escot, Pecorama, Bicton Park, Seaton Tramway.

Check out www.eastdevonexcellence.co.uk for insight on the area.

Enjoy!

Sheffield, UK
reviews: 6
4. Re: North or South

Many thanks for the replies all very helpful. Will have a look at the various suggestions but may be sticking with Buck Mills is a good idea after all!

Warwickshire
reviews: 180
5. Re: North or South

I am a South Hams fan myself the area between but including Dartmouth - Salcombe you will find everything you are looking for and none of what you are not!

England, United...
reviews: 42
6. Re: North or South

North, north, north, north, north.

However, you'll need to be careful of the seas up there at times with a toddler. The best, and safest beaches for a little one, I think are a little way from Buck Mills - Woolacombe or Barricane beach, without doubt (at Woolacombe go to the parish council car park above the town, and head for the middle of the beach if you prefer quiet); Widemouth/Bude in Cornwall; Welcombe Mouth at low tide, or play in the rock pools.

But you do have to remember you've chosen the Atlantic coast which can be wild and dramatic at times. The south coast is the English channel - a little tamer, though the water there will still drown you just as quick if you take silly risks! (I'm sure you won't, but there are tragedies down here every year, it seems).

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy yourselves, and I hope you'll end up with as many fantastic memories as we've been lucky enough to get over the years by spending every summer choosing between Hartland, Bude and Woolacombe. Great family holidays, and I'm jealous of you - I'd do it all again if I could.

7. Re: North or South

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 28, 2014