We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PLEASE HELP! if you know a good house or apartment in town.

Which St Ives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, United...
PLEASE HELP! if you know a good house or apartment in town.

I have spent several hours trying to find suitable self-catering accommodation with two double bedrooms. We need to be in or near the town of St.Ives or within a 10-minute walk as long as it's ON THE FLAT. We love to have sea views but think that means it would be uphill, is that right? We want to go next May 11th for one week. All replies will be very much appreciated.

Truro
reviews: 13
1. Re: PLEASE HELP! if you know a good house or apartment in town.

St Ives is very hilly. You might like to look at Carbis Bay. It is also hilly but you can use the train to get into St Ives. You will find it difficult to find accommodation with parking and a level walk into town in this part of Cornwall. If this is a deal breaker perhaps you should consider staying in somewhere like Falmouth where the town is much more level and then you could either catch the train to St Ives (2 changes) or drive to Lelant and catch the train there.

Lichfield
Destination Expert
for St Ives
reviews: 74
2. Re: PLEASE HELP! if you know a good house or apartment in town.

I agree with all Kernewes has said. St Ives is hilly but the hilliness can give you those spectacular sea views. If you want to be right in St Ives with a parking space and sea views then it is going to be budget busting. You don't say where you have looked but there are plenty of letting agents out there.

Try St Ives Holidays, Aspects Holidays, Powells Holidays and Cornish Riviera Holidays (all with offices in St Ives) or try Cornish Cottage Holidays and, possibly, West Cornwall Cottage Holidays.

I think that the suggestion of Carbis Bay is a good one. It is approx 1.5 miles from St Ives. You can walk from Carbis Bay to St Ives in 20 mins although there are 1 or 2 very hilly bits. I can manage it and I have moderate asthma. I have to stop here and there of course which isn't a bad thing given the glorious coastal views. If mobility issues are the problem then staying near Carbis Bay Station would be a good plan as suggested above. To that end, have a look at Carbis Bay Retreats or Carbis Bay Holidays. In Carbis Bay you are more likely to find a glorious sea view and parking. If you want a slightly quieter holiday then this would be a good option.

If you want to be in the thick of it in St Ives with pubs, restaurants and beaches on your doorstep then, with any of the letting agents I have mentioned, have a look at properties in St Nicholas Court as they are more likely to have sea views and parking and it is a reasonably flat walk into town. You need to ensure you check that any parking space will be big enough for your vehicle and has decent access to the space.

If you are coming really unstuck, try Holiday Lettings or Owners Direct.

Hope this helps.

Suzi

3. Re: PLEASE HELP! if you know a good house or apartment in town.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:06 pm, September 04, 2012
Reading, United...
4. Re: PLEASE HELP! if you know a good house or apartment in town.

Thank you but we want St.Ives and no trains.

Reading, United...
5. Re: PLEASE HELP! if you know a good house or apartment in town.

Thank you Julia but we do want self-catering just for the freedom. In any case over £800 for a week is out of the question.

Reading, United...
6. Re: PLEASE HELP! if you know a good house or apartment in town.

Thank you Suzi and this has been very helpful, especially the tip about parking accessability. We don't want to be as far out as Carbis Bay and definitely keen on St.Ives. After looking at 100s I think I have found somewhere, fingers crossed.

Lichfield
Destination Expert
for St Ives
7. Re: PLEASE HELP! if you know a good house or apartment in town.

Hi

If you don't want to be as far out as Carbis Bay, that is fair enough so I do hope you come up good with somewhere nice in St Ives. You are looking in plenty of time. I would have helped you look through but I wasn't aware of your budget and that is the deal breaker quite often - it is for me anyway! LOL

Suzi

London, United...
reviews: 5
8. Re: PLEASE HELP! if you know a good house or apartment in town.

We've just spent ages looking at places in St Ives for a couple of weeks time, here's my tips

1. Places near to Porthmeor beach will be fairly 'central' for everything. Porthminster is nice but imo it's too far out of the way, plus a steep hill to get to it.

2. The 'downalong' area might work for you - it's on the level and close by most things.

3. Some places have lifts! - Porthmeor apartments have lifts and underground parking for example.

Places to look:

Aspects holidays

Cornish Gems

Main St Ives website

Good luck!

London, United...
reviews: 5
9. Re: PLEASE HELP! if you know a good house or apartment in town.

The cottage boutique is another site too. I just looked at a nice place we looked at too, tuckers, however, it doesn't seem to give much away for May 2013!

Lichfield
Destination Expert
for St Ives
10. Re: PLEASE HELP! if you know a good house or apartment in town.

The only thing I have found that I do not like about Cornish Gems is that they let you in the property very late IMO, 4.00 pm and later for most. Of course, you can pay extra if you want to get in earlier which I feel is really out of order because the property is, obviously, ready but they want to get that little bit more money out of you. I also find their properties very expensive.

If you can walk a bit then I think that near Porthminster Beach is definitely not too far out of town. Believe me, with all the wonderful restaurants, a bit of exercise is helpful unless you have mobility issues. Exercise to counter the calories :)

Suzi

Get answers to your questions about St Ives