We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My 50th in March....

Which St Ives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berkhamsted
reviews: 11
My 50th in March....

Party of 16 booked into the Tregenna (on a deal) for weekend of 19th and 20th March. 3 vegetarians amongst us. Any advice please on location for Saturday night meal (bistro restaurant rather than a la carte probably) and Sunday lunch or evening pub for food and drinks too. Don't have to have a sea view and probably still far too chilly to sit outside anyway. Thanks!! I've heard the Saltwater Cafe is good???

Oxford
reviews: 1
1. Re: My 50th in March....

Not sure if Saltwater Cafe will have reopened then as closes for the winter - you'll need to check ...

best place to eat if you are staying at Tregenna (and open all year round) is Porthminster Cafe - great food, good atmosphere and a short walk from Tregenna (exit the garden footpath, cross the road and head down a very very steep footpath and you're almost there).

Also worth trying is St Andrews Street Bistro - good quality food simply done & not as expensive as Porthminster cafe. Great atmosphere and good service. Plus you have the option to buy their drinks or bring your own. Very reasonable corkage charge (think it's something like £2 per head) which can save a fortune for big bookings. Again, you'd need to check if they will be open (sometimes they'll open especially for large bookings like yours!).

For Sunday lunch I prefer to head out of St Ives - Gurnards Head is fantastic, but can be a bit pricey, or The Watermill at Lelant which is very reasonably priced and popular with the locals. Most of the pubs in St Ives do Sunday lunch, but quality can vary!

St Ives, Cornwall
reviews: 8
2. Re: My 50th in March....

Saturday Night Meal - The Mex is a good choice as they welcome groups, have a friendly informal atmosphere and cater properly for vegetarians - do book in advance though !

http://www.themex-stives.co.uk/

Sunday Lunch - The Sheaf Of Wheat on The Stennack do a good traditional Sunday Carvery. Friendly "proper" pub. Again - do book if you're going with a large party:

http://www.sheafofwheat.co.uk/

Evening drinks - The Castle on Fore Street is probably still the best pub in town for just a drink. Real ales, run by nice people.

Have a great weekend !

Oxford
3. Re: My 50th in March....

p.s.

the Porthminster Hotel does a great Sunday lunch for £8.95 and it is delicious!

views from their restaruant are amazing, and the staff are very courteous - they may even do an out of season offer in March - very handy for Tregenna !

lancashire
reviews: 46
4. Re: My 50th in March....

Hi

There is a veggie restaruant just a few mins drive outside St.Ives called the Bean Inn, you can get the menu up and have a look. The Mermaid is lovely but you may need to book. We were disappointed in the Saltwater Cafe so personally I wouldnt go again. The Badger Inn in Lelant seems to have good reviews for Sunday carvery thats just outside St.Ives again. Hope you enjoy.

Berkhamsted
reviews: 11
5. Re: My 50th in March....

Thanks all very much for your replies. We've booked The Beach for Saturday night, mainly as it appears to cater for everyone in the party, but Sunday is not booked yet. Porthminster does look good, but they only open 12 - 1.30 for Sunday lunch, which seems really odd. They sort of reluctantly said they'd stretch to 2pm for us. Considering we are a party of 13 which they may not normally get this early in the season, I am now hesitating to book with them in case they try to rush us out....

Thanks again!

Oxford
6. Re: My 50th in March....

we've eaten in there after 1.30 pm before now .... and never been rushed .... maybe they want you in a bit earlier because you are a big party and everything takes a bit longer....

.the whole experience is very relaxed but they are quite busy with locals this time of year and can get fully booked

7. Re: My 50th in March....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 09, 2012
Get answers to your questions about St Ives