We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Isaac in November

Which Port Isaac hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge
reviews: 9
Port Isaac in November

Hi, I know it's a bit of an unconventional time to go there, but my OH and I will be spending a week in Port Isaac in November.

I know Padstow really well, because I've been visiting it at some point almost every year for 20 years, and last November I took him there, but this year we've chosen to rent a cottage in Port Isaac, where I haven't been since the 1980s! I'm assuming that there'll be at least a couple of places serving food for the week, and they won't all close for the winter, but where in Port Isaac is particularly recommended? Also, where are the nearest places to stock up on food and fire wood?

And one last question - the cottage we've rented is right near the beach. Is it possible to park on the beach carpark in November or do the tides get a bit too unpredictable for that to be a good plan?

Cheers.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
reviews: 176
1. Re: Port Isaac in November

Hi

Can't help a great deal,but there are several good pubs which are not far to drive to which will be open. St Kew Inn, Maltsters Arms at Chapel Amble are a couple of good fairly close ones.

I know it gets very dead in Port Isaac in the depths of winter but i would imagine there will still be some life about in November.

I was there last week and it was totally packed,no where to park,and hardly room to walk the streets such is the current popularity.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
reviews: 38
2. Re: Port Isaac in November

Not sure about parking on the beach in winter, but I suspect that no-one will stop you. (at your own risk, as ever!). The Golden Lion will be open and as welcoming as ever. Enjoy!

Cambridge
3. Re: Port Isaac in November

Cheers.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
reviews: 176
4. Re: Port Isaac in November

Hmm, been hearing strange things about The Golden Lion on here lately. I would have checked it out,but the whole place was just too busy--and Doc Martin wasn't even there!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Bodmin
reviews: 40
5. Re: Port Isaac in November

The best place for stocking up on food is Wadebridge where there is a Tesco just outside the town and a LIDL and Coop supermarket in the town itself. There is also a Spar type shop in Port Isaac on the right hand side of the road as you enter the village.

Not sure about the wood (we get ours in bulk) you may well get it at the Spar shop or keep a look out for people selling it on the roadside - there's plenty about but I can't tell you precisely where.

For food you could try the Port Gaverne Hotel which is just on the outskirts (steep hill back though!) or The Old School House which is a little more pricey.

Badcatts recommendations for food are both excellent by the way.

I wouldn't advise you to park on the beach - at the very least you'll have to keep moving the car and keeping an eye on the tides. In November you should have no problem finding street parking at the top of the village - note that parking is allowed on double yellow lines at certain times of the year so check the signs and you should be OK.

I shall be in P Issac one day next week with visiting family so do let me know if you'd like me to check anything in particular out for you.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
6. Re: Port Isaac in November

Badcat, the only 'strange thing' I can find about the Golden Lion is this: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186242-i3564-k2…

The poster is local, and has never made another post, before or since. So scepticism is called for, I think......

Cambridge
7. Re: Port Isaac in November

Are there any local food shops, like an independant butcher's shop where I can get local meat? I'd much rather buy food from places where the money stays in the local area as far as possible. I'm hoping to order some stuff to be delivered in advance, as long as the company I've found go out to Port Isaac (Cornwall in your Kitchen, if anyone's used them before - their website gives the postcodes to which they will deliver, but I don't know what the PI postcode suffix is. Can anyone help?), but would prefer to get less than we'll need and shop more often so we don't have too many left overs and can be flexible about when we go out/eat at home. Thanks for the suggested restaurants too, and for the advice about the tides - I thought the carpark would be somewhere that only got wet in exceptional high tides.

Braunton, United...
8. Re: Port Isaac in November

Postcodes in Port Isaac begin with PL29.

There are a couple of good butchers in Wadebridge along Molesworth Street (the pedestrianised bit). I've used Duttons regularly and they are excellent.

Cambridge
9. Re: Port Isaac in November

Thanks for that. Looks like we'll be shopping in Wadebridge, but at least we won't have to get everything from the supermarket.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
10. Re: Port Isaac in November

Much closer than Wadebridge, there's the strawberry farm (pick your own, in season) which also has a good farm shop with nice deli stuff, organic fruit, veg etc. It's up on the main B3314 near St Endellion church.