We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smugglers Haven

Which Newquay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ipswich, United...
Smugglers Haven

Hi,

Does anyone have experience of this "18-30" campsite?

We are 5 males aged between 21 and 26 looking to spend a week camping there mid July.

We are planning on a surfing holiday with a chilled out BBQ outside the tent in the sun kind of vibe.

Can anyone tell me about the facilities they offer and good or bad experiences they have had dealing with them.

Thanks,

Sam

tunbridge wells
1. Re: Smugglers Haven

I'm going with my friends (group of 18 yr olds, 5 male, 4 female, 3 of which.. including myself are single :) ) and we're doing electrical hook up camping there from the 18th to 22nd july. it seems like a really good place to go, right by the beach and with lots of things to do on site and buses running to and from the town centre until like 4am.. looks like the place to be! you'll need to book it quick though if you havn't already done so x

Newton Abbot...
2. Re: Smugglers Haven

Hi,

Ive just been to smugglers for a long weekend (15th - 18th July) stayed in a caravan and if you havnt booked yet I wouldnt advise it !!

Group of 6 of us, all 20, and looking for somewhere to stay to go out in newquay ! thought smugglers would be ideal, but far from it !

Came back after our first night out to find all windows in caravan smashed up, covered in mayo and tomato sauce, security guards saw but did nothing, reception was really rude ! and the caravan was disgusting. really dirty! we're not snobbish at all but even we found it really not nice.

Id advise not to go, but maybe if youre camping itll be different as you wont have to worry about a sick caravan !

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Smugglers Haven

I went last week for a stag do. It was the worst place I have ever been to in my entire life. Filthy caravans, awful drunk teenagers everywhere, stiggy, rank, nasty and nowhere near the beech. I would not go back if it was totally free and I mean that sincerely

Edited: 6:44 am, August 20, 2012
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
reviews: 212
4. Re: Smugglers Haven

Sounds like a typical 18-30 type of place then!

Belfast, United...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Smugglers Haven

This was without doubt the worst campsite I have ever been to!

If club 18 to 30s, with all night partying is what you are after then this is probably the site for you. Myself and two friends went for a weekend in Newquay with the plan to spend most of our time by the beach and just chill out in the evenings with a few beers and a BBQ. This is not what we got at Smugglers.

Reception does not allocate any camping sites, so tents were just thrown up all over the place, and it was really crammed for the Boardmasters weekend. People had music blaring constantly, all day and all night, so we got very little sleep. There was litter all over the campsite, ranging from beer bottles, to food to abandoned tents, so when all the partiers finally switched off their music and went to sleep at 6 am, swarms of squawking sea gulls arrived on the site.

The showers and toilets just about came up to scratch straight after they had been cleaned, but if you left a shower until later on then you had to fight your way through the queues of people getting ready for their night out and the the resulting mess of tissues, facewipes, empty bottles and whatever other mess people were too lazy to put into the bin.

Security did patrol the campsite and on occasion I was aware of them asking people to turn the music down, but they were mostly ineffective. A regular bus runs from the campsite into the town, and drops people off at the top of the campsite. the toilets are at the bottom of the campsite, so I was regularly aware of people urinating at the back of the tent as a walk to the toilet appeared to be out of the question. The regular loads of drunken teenagers being dropped off at 1/2 hour intervals throughout the night ensured that the 'after party' had a regular injection of energy to keep it going throughout the night.

I do think that the campsite serves a purpose for people just wanting to party constantly for a few days, but for everyone else, my recommendation is to steer well clear

Birmingham, United...
6. Re: Smugglers Haven

We had exactly the same problem last year when we went. There was about 16 of us ( 2 caravans full ) The caravans were disgusting. Vomit stains on Sofas etc etc, and only one plug socket worked. Not good when there are 3 girls wanting to get ready, and people wanting to charge their phones. We went out one night and when we came back our windows were smashed too with sauce all up the caravans.

Will not be returning any time soon!

reviews: 1
7. Re: Smugglers Haven

We went at the end of the season this year and I think perhaps we may have got off lightly! Because it was the week after the kids went back to school there were only about ~8 groups camping and all were Uni students or older in terms of age. We're festival goers and used to noise, and apart from one lairy stag do, we didn't have too bad a time. I can confirm litter or no that if you poke your head out of the tent at 6am it'll be like a Hitchcock movie with seagulls everywhere.

With this place you very much get what you pay for. It's not luxury, the showers were a bit cringe and some of the caravans did look a bit bashed up, but overall I have camped at worse places. The staff at the Costcutter however need some lessons in customer service (we asked if there were facilities to refreeze blocks for the coolbox and this seemed quite an alien concept and the lady was quite rude) but we found security quite helpful.

Location wise, it is a good 45 minute walk into the centre of Newquay but it's not an awful walk, and Porth beach is a 10 minute walk away. We didn't fancy the venga-bus service, but it is there if you want it. We also didn't visit the bars on site, but they're probably no worse than other sites.

I think overall if you can plan your trip to miss the summer holidays by a week it sounds like you'll probably have a better time than some reviewers here. We were lucky that the first weekend in September was glorious sun this year!

Edited: 6:19 am, October 07, 2012
London, United...
8. Re: Smugglers Haven

I have just recently got back from a stay at smugglers haven and I personally would not recommend it . Me and a friend got showed to our caravan and it was filthy. we did get moved to a nicer caravan after complaining. everything was fine until the last morning when a man tried to break into our caravan whilst we were in bed it was really scary especially when he was attacking the caravan from outside and smashed a window. We tried to find security and couldn't it was a nightmare.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it and don't plan on returning.

totnes
reviews: 3
9. Re: Smugglers Haven

Try Europa Park in Woolacombe...still an 18-30's campsite www.europapark.co.uk

Newquay, United...
Destination Expert
for Newquay, Cornwall
reviews: 8
10. Re: Smugglers Haven

Old Post