We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's happened to good ole pub grub?!

Which Newquay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Isle of Wight
reviews: 20
What's happened to good ole pub grub?!

I'm a regular to the area, but tend to stay out of town these days. I'm down again in a few weeks and looking for inspiration of a good old country pub for some good grub.

Nice restaurants have there place, but I want a different experience this time, and we are down for longer. I don't mind driving the distance to go somewhere good.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

1. Re: What's happened to good ole pub grub?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, August 10, 2010
Lichfield
Destination Expert
for St Ives
reviews: 62
2. Re: What's happened to good ole pub grub?!

This place was good last time I went, it is out of Newquay though but not far away:-

www.perran-quay.co.uk/Bar%20Restaurant.html

Suzi

Newquay, United...
Destination Expert
for Newquay, Cornwall
reviews: 7
3. Re: What's happened to good ole pub grub?!

You could give this place a try. Been here many times, have never been disappointed.

http://www.thesmugglersden.co.uk/

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Santa Ponsa
reviews: 67
4. Re: What's happened to good ole pub grub?!

What was wrong with the first reply, it looked like there were some good suggestions there?

Isle of Wight
5. Re: What's happened to good ole pub grub?!

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I've either been to the Smugglers or drove away from the Smugglers before. I just remember finding a lovely country pub with good 'pub' food, not fancy, or over the top, but can't for the life of me remember it's name. I do remember having to drive for a bit though.

There was another country pub that seemed to have a good reputation that I had to drive a bit for aswell. We pulled up, looked at the menu and decided it was too restaurant like for what we were looking for that night.

So, either situation could be the Smugglers!

Newquay, United...
Destination Expert
for Newquay, Cornwall
reviews: 7
6. Re: What's happened to good ole pub grub?!

Just thought of this one,

http://www.whitehousecornwall.co.uk/

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
7. Re: What's happened to good ole pub grub?!

The Borough Arms at Dunmere is a good one, a bit of a drive from Newquay though. Lovely carvery and a decent menu as well. I notice it gets terrible reviews here on TA, but it is my pub of choice for a quick family meal out.

I have also had good reports, though never been there of the Red Lion at St Kew Highway, but that's even further from Newquay.

8. Re: What's happened to good ole pub grub?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, August 13, 2010
Isle of Wight
9. Re: What's happened to good ole pub grub?!

Thanks guys, I really want a country pub though, rather than something in town.

For some reason I can't find much on the net atall.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
10. Re: What's happened to good ole pub grub?!

The borough Arms isn't in a town