We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling in or near Looe.

Which Looe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 25
Cycling in or near Looe.

We are coming to Looe in 2 weeks and are thinking of bringing bikes with us. Would this be a good idea? Are there any cycle paths in Looe and is cycling allowed along the coastal paths? We have done the Camel trial several times and were hoping to find something different although not too strenuous!

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 19
1. Re: Cycling in or near Looe.

It is quite hilly in parts & bit remote from other parts of Cornwall. May be ok for along the front, but think it may be limited - unless you want to do lots of hills. I have been on Camel Trail & don't think you can compare. This is my view, but maybe a local can verify this. Worth taking bikes if you are using Looe as base and going to other parts of Cornwall

UK
reviews: 89
2. Re: Cycling in or near Looe.

Cornwall, (from personal experience) is probably the worst British county in terms of cycling difficulty because the roads tend to go across rather than along, valleys. My expectation would be its very hilly there unless you can find disused railway lines like Camel, but the other one I am aware of is much more northerly and well away from Looe. Also try posting on the cycling plus touring forum for more info.

Devizes, United...
reviews: 309
3. Re: Cycling in or near Looe.

Hi there

You can't cycle the Coastal Path in either direction from Looe. It's narrow, by that I mean in places less than a foot wide, often muddy and has very steep unguarded drops to the rocks and water below. Looking at my OS Explorer Sheet 107 which includes Looe, there are no cycle ways indicated at all in the area.

From Looe by road it's a steep pull up West Looe Hill ( A387)towards Polperro after which it's relatively flat until you approach the drop down into Polperro. If you head the other way, you can take either the B3253 towards Hessenford which is exceptionally steeply graded in several places or take the A387 which follows the railway line as far as Sandplace after which you can then continue to follow the railway all the way to Liskeard via minor roads and lanes.

Of course, there are miles of unclassified lanes and tracks but be prepared for Everest grade hills around any bend.

London, United...
reviews: 25
4. Re: Cycling in or near Looe.

Thanks- I will probably leave the bikes at home then!

5. Re: Cycling in or near Looe.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, October 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Looe