We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is eating allowed on buses?

Which Cornwall hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
reviews: 15
Is eating allowed on buses?

Good day to all.

Our upcoming trip will be using much longer bus rides than we are used to taking. We normally prefer trains where possible and know there is usually no problem with a bit of picnicking during a journey. Is it similar with buses in Cornwall, though? I'm not thinking of pulling out a whole picnic basket and uncorking a bottle of wine, but is it allowed to eat a well-contained snack or sandwich discreetly? Or is that just not done? (Please forgive me if this information is somewhere on the bus operator websites. If it is, I'd appreciate a bit of direction to find it, as I did go looking but didn't find an answer.) We'd like to avoid rule-breaking or offending, but it's something I need to consider and plan for, partially due to medical reasons.

Thank you.

london
reviews: 15
11. Re: Is eating allowed on buses?

matt, many modern buses don't have windows that open

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 65
12. Re: Is eating allowed on buses?

The brand new buses in Liverpool have windows that open!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Santa Ponsa
reviews: 76
13. Re: Is eating allowed on buses?

"matt, many modern buses don't have windows that open"

You don't have to worry about modern buses in Cornwall, they aren't that modern, in fact since the fire that destroyed a lot of the fleet they have resurrected some ancient buses. They also have several buses which have been hired from other bus companies, Blackpool and Norfolk are the ones I see most often.

Plymouth
reviews: 27
14. Re: Is eating allowed on buses?

IIn my experience you can certainly eat on buses in Cornwall, I've done it many times, and often seen others do likewise. As the OP intends to be sensible about the contents of their picnic and leave no rubbish they should have no problem.

Hampshire, England.
reviews: 6
15. Re: Is eating allowed on buses?

"Most people, school kids anyway, just chuck their empty food and drink wrappers out of the bus windows don't they? :-/"

No, they put them in my garden hedge.:-)