We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been to Cornwall!

Which Cornwall hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
reviews: 3
Never been to Cornwall!

44 years old and unbelievably still never been to Cornwall! I'm aiming to rectify this by taking my wife, son (19months) and mother on a surprise holiday, probably the first week in July (blimey just realised that's only a couple of weeks away)

We live in Yorkshire so can't say I'm looking forward to the drive down but plan to travel through the night so hopefully my son will be fast asleep the entire journey.

I've been looking on the internet and as there are so many beautiful places and self catering properties on the Cornish coast I'm a bit bamboozled by it all so thought I would post on the forum and seek some inspiration from those in the know.

Ideally looking for a 5* luxury self catering property over looking or with easy access to the sea. Must have 3 bedrooms and be suitable for a toddler. Hoping to spend time on the beach (weather permitting) and get out and about with my family whilst keeping my son entertained.

Any advice welcome and much appreciated

Derby
reviews: 82
1. Re: Never been to Cornwall!

Hi welly1. If you are willing to drive this far down can recommend Carbis Bay. A lovely beach and some superb apartments overlooking the sea. We booked Volante through Carbis Bay Holidays. They really are very well furnished anf fitted out. http://www.carbisbayholidays.co.uk/ . If you have a ground floor apartment there is decking your son will be able to pay n whilst you enjoy the sea views. A local train runs from Carbis Bay to St Ives saving parking the car, and there is a Tesco near by. Re the drive, roads are much improved now with dual carriageway virtually all the way down to Hayle. It took little over 4 hours from Derby. Wherever you decide to go I am sure (weather permitting) that you will have a great time, and will be back.

Yorkshire
2. Re: Never been to Cornwall!

Sounds fab, thank you

Plymouth
reviews: 28
3. Re: Never been to Cornwall!

Note the Tesco's is not within comfortable walking distance - no walkable shops in Carbis Bay, if this is important.

Do you want to be in a small town/village with facilities or in country? Carbis Bay is a residential area, no restaurants or pubs. Oh, one hotel that I think does non resident meals

Yorkshire
4. Re: Never been to Cornwall!

Thanks for the response

Ideally looking for a picturesque small town/village on the sea front. Weather permitting I hope to spend the days playing on the beach with my son. Although it would be nice to have quality restaurants and pubs in the area I think if we manage to book a 5* self catering we'll spend as much time eating in as we do going out.

Thanks again

Plymouth
reviews: 28
5. Re: Never been to Cornwall!

Hello again! Lots of places meet your description. For starters, look at Padstow, Looe, aSt Mawes

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
6. Re: Never been to Cornwall!

St Ives is always popular, for good reason. Falmouth had loads going on but still has spectacular scenery. Porthleven is a personal favourite of mine. As you have a small child, you might appreciate Marazion for the large beach and popular playground on the seafront.

We're probably not helping you narrow this down, are we?

Philadelphia
reviews: 21
7. Re: Never been to Cornwall!

We are traveling USA to Amsterdam then ...would like to seeCornwall area or ?. we have 4 days before meeting friends in Cambridge ..then London and back home. All suggestions welcome in deciding this middle segment of our trip!

oxford
reviews: 30
8. Re: Never been to Cornwall!

How about Mousehole (pr. mouzul-with the ou as in Ouch). picturesque as a Cornish town comes, some great accomodation, restaurants , a lovely beach inside the sheltered harbour, if you are lucky enough to get some decent weather and to cap it all a brilliant direct from the boats fishmonger, they do fish boxes(like veg boxes but much better) http://www.mouseholefish.com/index.html check them out, the value of these boxes is unbelievable and I really can't believe how cheap it is

9. Re: Never been to Cornwall!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:36 am, June 18, 2014