We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in Cornwall July 22nd

Which Cornwall hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 3
Week in Cornwall July 22nd

Hi all

My husband, teenage son and I will be in Cornwall (St. Austell) for a week in July. We will be hiring a car but are unsure about the roads. How busy will they be in July? Are there numerous one-way systems in operation? Is there good signposting? Based on other reviews, I'm thinking twice about driving to Land's End and we're even debating whether to visit the Eden Project due to the possible huge crowds. However, we really want to go to the Scilly Isles - any advice or information would be most appreciated.

'Dying to see Cornwall'

Gloucester, United...
reviews: 46
1. Re: Week in Cornwall July 22nd

July 22nd is in the middle of the UK school holidays so it is going to be extremely busy down in Cornwall. If you want to go to the Eden Project plan to get there early or you are likely to spend more time in the queue than in the Project.

Potters Bar, United...
reviews: 42
2. Re: Week in Cornwall July 22nd

July will be busy there's no getting away from that but look at it this way..... If you want to see the Eden Project it's probabaly better to go on a hot sunny "beach" day as most tourists will be headed to the beach! So on the other hand if it's raining avoid it as you will all be there!!! you can go on a park and ride system there and that will take the strain out. Lands end will be a trek for you, but worth going to see however, if you just want the views head for St.Ives (yes busy but park on the outskirts of the town) and walk down to the town (or catch a park and ride bus)then follow the coast path around to Lands End that way you get to see fantastic scenery and the famous signpost!, you can always eat in their restaurant etc., The Scilly Isles can be got to either by Boat (longer but cheaper) or helicopter the web site is www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk again to drive to Penzance from St.Austell is about 40 miles and will take roughly 1 1/4 hours to get there - so you will need to bear this in mind if doing a day trip as i think they leave quite early in the day?!

If you want ideas on other areas let me know, i hope this is of help to you.

Fowey, Cornwall
reviews: 12
3. Re: Week in Cornwall July 22nd

You can also fly to the Scilly Isles from Newquay airport which would be your best bet if you are based in St Austell. I love the Scillies - a great idea to include this in your travels.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the crowds at Eden. True, when it first opened, the place was heaving but visitor numbers have dropped heavily since (worryingly so for the local employees). To speed up things, you can get 'fast track' tickets from the Local Tourist Information places/ Post Offices etc. and then you can bypass the queues if there happen to be any.

As for roads, there aren't many in the St Austell area - just right in the town centre itself for a tiny bit and that isn't confusing. So don't worry on that score. What is confusing though is the bizarre triple mini roundabout outside Macdonalds in St Austell!!!!

Cheshire
reviews: 22
4. Re: Week in Cornwall July 22nd

Hello,

I've spend lots of time in Newquay and near by areas but I'm going to St Austell at the end of August, maybe you can tell me what to see once you've been. Newquay is great for all ages, lots to do and great waves....you can all have ago a buggy boarding. (belly boards!)

it's worth driving the coast for the scenery.

Lands End is along way and I don't think it's worth it when there's so much more to see.

I don't have any children yet so it's just me and the husband but I went to Flambards when I was about 13 with my parents and loved it mainly because of the Demon Drop Slides,even my parents got addicted to them! That could be a day out that you son would enjoy.

We're watching Goldfrapp at the Eden Project. Has anyone been to an Eden Sessions before?

Good Luck

England
reviews: 2
5. Re: Week in Cornwall July 22nd

Visiting Land's End is only worth it if you want the novelty of saying you've been to the most Westerly point of England and want your photo taken under the signpost that tells you how many miles it is to Dublin. There are lots of other places worth seeing in Cornwall. The kids would love Flambards (we took our kids a couple of years ago), but there is Tintagel, St Michael's Mount (Marazion), surfing on Fistral Beach. If you want to avoid traffic jams, avoid Fridays and Saturdays perhaps - these are always the busiest days....on the main roads at least.