We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Great Western sleeper train from Penzance

Which Cornwall hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
connecticut
First Great Western sleeper train from Penzance

Hello,

We are planning a trip to Cornwall and upon returning to Paddington Station in London, are looking to reserve a stay on the sleeper car (First Great Western Night Riviera). Has anyone ever used this service? We will be leaving from Penzance.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
1. Re: First Great Western sleeper train from Penzance

Something to get you started

http://www.seat61.com/Cornwall-sleeper.htm

Braunton, United...
2. Re: First Great Western sleeper train from Penzance

I've done it and really enjoyed the trip. I didn't sleep a great deal - there's a lot of swaying and the train gets in rather early, but it still was a good experience. The stewards look after you well and if you are a couple you get the whole of the berth to yourself (they are bunkbeds). If you are single, the stewards do try to get you a berth to yourself. It feels like a bygone age!

Lichfield
Destination Expert
for St Ives
reviews: 79
3. Re: First Great Western sleeper train from Penzance

Hi

Here is another link to some information here about the sleeper service. Hope this is useful.

www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx…

I wish they did this service from Birmingham.

Suzi

Chelmsford
reviews: 33
4. Re: First Great Western sleeper train from Penzance

Hi, can anyone tell me how/where to get a sleeper car plan for the night rivera?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Santa Ponsa
reviews: 78
5. Re: First Great Western sleeper train from Penzance

I don't know if such a thing exists!

Here is some info on the service though if you haven't already seen it.

www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx…

Chelmsford
6. Re: First Great Western sleeper train from Penzance

Hi and thanks. Yes I had seen this but have since discovered a weird but brill website www.seat61.com/cornwall-sleeper.htm which explains all!

Cheers!

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
reviews: 212
7. Re: First Great Western sleeper train from Penzance

As suggested by Alanrow in the first reply on this topic.

Chelmsford
8. Re: First Great Western sleeper train from Penzance

Sorry about that, must be my senior moment kicking in again, getting older does do that sometimes!

New England
reviews: 236
9. Re: First Great Western sleeper train from Penzance

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone planning to do the sleeper train from London to Penzance - do it! We had a wonderful trip, the berths were very comfy, and the service was wonderful. They gave you a little travel kit with every kind of travel necessity from lotion to ear plugs - this is the kit I have been using for travel ever since! One nice perk is staying in the first class lounge at Paddington prior to departure or after arrival (and showers, which I did not use, but spouse did - he said they were "ok.") The lounge had free light food (cookies, fruit, etc.) and a variety of hot and cold drinks, free wifi, clean restrooms, free news papers, etc.

Okay, the best part is, you get off the train well rested... in Penzance! Or also wonderfully... in London! Either direction, you're a winner.

reviews: 48
10. Re: First Great Western sleeper train from Penzance

Done it 3 times and is something really special. It is certainly different from the Orient express but has a special charm. It boards about hour and a half before leaving so you can get settled. Then sit back with a gin and tonic for a while before bed. Couriers are great and will cope with all silly questions. Do it!