We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic birthday night in chester

Which Chester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Romantic birthday night in chester

Hi I have booked a Friday night get away in chester with my fiancé for his birthday. I was hoping someone could recommend a nice restaurant (not too pricey) and a good bar/pub. Also with a nice dress code (not casual wear)!

Thanks x

Chester, United...
reviews: 104
1. Re: Romantic birthday night in chester

there are loads of recommendations, depends on what you like. Maybe it may depend on where you are staying while you are in Chester. And it depends on what you call 'not too expensive'. There is bistro style, Chez Jules, but that can be noisy and is very open plan. Moules a gogo is a favourite, and the menu is not just seafood. A quirky bar can be found at Oddfellows, not eaten at the restaurant for ages and the staff has changed so cannot comment. No doubt others will be along with more ideas. The new(ish) gastro pub The Architect is very popular and the dining is in separate dining rooms rather than a big space with full table service, which can be a bit slow but sometimes that is not bad.

Liverpool, United...
2. Re: Romantic birthday night in chester

Thanks! My hotel is right by the architect I think ill have a look at their website.. I like quirky so ill also have a look at oddfellows!

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
reviews: 16
3. Re: Romantic birthday night in chester

Woukd agree with post 1 and if you are near the Architect that seems a good choice.

Though not a restaurant if you want a bar/ lounge that is classy for a drink consider the new TOwn House 1776 on Watergate Row opposite Sofa Warehouse. The whole place has been renovated with great care for the historic fabric of the building and their front upstairs lounge has been done as an elegant Georgian room

Edited: 3:27 am, October 18, 2013
Chester, United...
4. Re: Romantic birthday night in chester

Intrigued as to which hotel you are staying at. If at Abode their restaurant is superb, but probably wouldn't suit your budget! Also 1538 at the Race course. Chesterbuff, not heard to the Town House, must check it out....

Chester, United...
5. Re: Romantic birthday night in chester

the link to the Town House is actually the b&b in King Street, quite different. Having had a look I rather think this is what used to be Chester Rows, and then Politic. In which case, definitely needs checking out!

http://www.townhouse1776.com/

Liverpool, United...
6. Re: Romantic birthday night in chester

I've had a look at all of these places online and they all look good. I am staying at the abode. I think I'm going to do a 'pub/bar crawl' so we can try all of the places because they all look good! As for the restaurant I think I'm going to try the architect or the number 1 restaurant on trip advisor upstairs at the grill! Thanks for all your help guys :-) can't wait for my chester visit!

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
reviews: 16
7. Re: Romantic birthday night in chester

Penny...passed Townhouse when they were renovating. Foreman and boss were delighted with the gem of a building they had uncovered and were keen to spread the word that they wanted to keep all original architecture and make it a feature of their 'offer' Have looked in since and they have done a god job. Pity they aren't open at lunchtimes as they are missing a lot of day visitor trade.

England
reviews: 2
8. Re: Romantic birthday night in chester

Forget "Upstairs at the Grill"....vastly over-rated, IMHO...you will be disappointed.

Edited: 7:40 pm, October 18, 2013
Chester, United...
9. Re: Romantic birthday night in chester

I have only been to Upstairs at the Grill once and have not been back, pretentious and over rated, and the restaurant room itself awful. The bar was good upstairs. There are much better places IMHO.

10. Re: Romantic birthday night in chester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 21, 2014