We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michael Caines Restaurant, Abode Hotel, Chester

Which Chester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
reviews: 107
Michael Caines Restaurant, Abode Hotel, Chester

This is not the MC Cafe Bar on the ground floor of the Abode Hotel, but the Michael Caines Restaurant and Champagne Bar on the 5th floor. Reviews seem to have all been piled together with the Cafe Bar.

We were there last Thursday!

This was An Evening with Michael Caines at Abode Chester on Thursday 19th August.

This was the first of what will be regular events three times a year where Michael takes us through the menu and his Sommelier describes the wines chosen to accompany them.

Michael and Stuart Collins, the executive chef at the hotel, created the four courses and we had by chance heard of this which fitted perfectly for our plans for a special celebration.

The evening started with an opportunity to meet Michael during a champagne reception in the champagne bar next to the restaurant on the fifth floor of the hotel. Delicious canapés were brought round and Michael circulated and spoke to everyone.

The courses, once we were seated were: Salad of Confit Potato, Almond crusted haddock, Macclesfield beef fillet, Rapberry cremeux and followed by coffee and petit fours accompanied by 12 year old Jamaican rum.

Disappointingly our table, No 5, was slightly to one side, one felt in an ‘overflow’ room, however we were close to the speakers so could follow what they were saying clearly, and were served food promptly which was a benefit as in the main room it seemed to take ages to get the food out. The wine waiters were generous too...My husband is not a fan of truffles, so I did well with the first course! All the food was perfectly prepared, cooked and presented. It was difficult to pick a highlight, as Michael asked us afterwards, either the fish or the meat, but all was superb.

The choice of wine was interesting, not what we would have chosen (no Burgundy for instance, in fact no French wine apart from champagne, and there was plenty of that!) but complemented the food very well.

We were back in our room at about 11.30pm, so the evening lasted four and a half hours. The cost was £75 per head which included everything so was excellent value for money. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening and would recommend it to anyone who was interested in ‘fine dining’.

We were told that the next events are on 20th Octgober and 9th December. We only found out about last Thursday by chance, even though I had filled in a card when the hotel opened with email address.

london
reviews: 17
1. Re: Michael Caines Restaurant, Abode Hotel, Chester

when I read your post, I was incredulous that Michael Caine was now into restaurants ... then I realised that something was not quite right and that I must be missing something so I googled it ... and of course it's not Sir Michael Caine ... it's Michael Caines, an award winning chef (who I unfortunately had never heard of before)

I wonder how many people make the same mistake as me ... do any people turn up at the hotel expecting to see Sir Michael ?

Chester, United...
2. Re: Michael Caines Restaurant, Abode Hotel, Chester

I suppose if the cooking had all gone wrong he could say... 'hold on lads, I've got an idea...'

Probably 'foodies' would think of the chef rather than the actor, but then, in the 70s he was a part owner in Langans Brasserie.

The review is now in the review section, not sure if the muddle between two restaurants can be straightened out...

Chester, United...
3. Re: Michael Caines Restaurant, Abode Hotel, Chester

the next two evenings ae October 20th and December 9th, by the way.

Lancs
reviews: 58
4. Re: Michael Caines Restaurant, Abode Hotel, Chester

Sir MC isn't allowed in kitchens any more after shouting at the Chef who was using the new cooker: " You're only supposed to blow the bxxxxx doors off! ".

5. Re: Michael Caines Restaurant, Abode Hotel, Chester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:53 am, February 24, 2011