We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changes to the island .

Farnsfield notts
reviews: 8
Changes to the island .

I last visited Alderney over 30 years ago. My parents were friends with Pat Hart and we stayed at the Harbour Lights . Loved the island then and are visiting again this August. what would you recommend us to see or do?

Love swimming, seafood,walking and fishing

Jane

10 replies to this topic
Chester, United...
reviews: 107
1. Re: Changes to the island .

I too knew Alderney in ther 1970s and we are planning a visit in September. Would be interested where you have decided to stay?

Farnsfield notts
reviews: 8
2. Re: Changes to the island .

We are going to stay in Mother Fridays apartment. Found this from a lsit on the website

Chester, United...
3. Re: Changes to the island .

We have booked for Braye Beach, having had no success in making contact with the Georgian House, then got an email 5 days after we had made the Braye booking.... it looks as if there is quite a lot more than I remember going on at Braye so I am looking forward to it.

Have a good trip yourself! I lived there 1972 -74 and then visited for the next 10 years, not been there since 1984!

Chester, United...
4. Re: Changes to the island .

Hope your trip went well, JaneFarnsfield, we returned yesterday, had a very good time but were glad we stayed at Braye, the town seems to be in a (hopefully temporary) decline.

5. Re: Changes to the island .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, February 20, 2011

guildford
6. Re: Changes to the island .

i first went to alderney 1971.a family i worked for had a home there we spent 6 weeks and i was smitten.i next went there a couple of years later to show my then boyfriend and he loved it too.we went there again 4 months later.we were probably first people to camp there.finances and several children later and we are now looking forward to a trip in september back to the place i have always wanted to revisit.i am a little worried about the possible yobs on the streets and the amount of houses built and hoping that none of the 'feeling' i felt all those years ago for the island has gone.we will see....

Chester, United...
7. Re: Changes to the island .

I was there 1972-4 so about the same time. The island itself is as lovely, the town I thought looked sad, but Braye Beach and the hotel there were fab. We had a great weekend but can't see us returning.

Norwich, United...
reviews: 41
8. Re: Changes to the island .

Having been to the Island now four times I felt it was time to comment. Having paid the exorbitant costs to get there on the aircraft of £272 return , having booked many months ago, I am not surprised to notice a drop in the number of tourists which was widely reported, and that several shops and certainly one large central hotel remains completely empty. Several houses are up for sale with no noticeable movement and whilst Alderney boasts of being the easiest Island to buy on, with no restrictions it is easy to see a gradual decline in services and standards. Food , save anything from the sea is expensive, and whilst they do their best the hotels and the guest houses and short term rental lets are also very costly.

That all said the beaches are usually deserted and in consequence very clean and the whole island has a quirky backward charm which does allow one to slow down. It is rarely VERY hot as there is always a sea breeze although the so called Island wide 20 MPH limit is extensively breached so not as slow as it could be, and the have and the have-nots co exist reasonably well although being so small there is an ever present current of undue and unhealthy influence and control by those in power. This is evident in respect to energy supply and a recent attempt to set up a rival air line was bureaucratically blocked by the Balliwick who coincidentally have a controlling influence in Aurigny.

We visit because we have relatives on the Island but once we retire, the cost will become prohibitive unless something changes and this is very sad.

Laws are widely ignored or simply do not exist and do not think your phones or that the medical service work as they do in the rest of the UK , they certainly do not so check before you go.

Lets us hope someone listens to this and the island becomes more affordable.

guildford
9. Re: Changes to the island .

hi how weird we last went in early 70s and are also going in september 40 years since last visit,we are going 7th-14th.hope you enjoy yourselves

Edited: 7:34 pm, May 11, 2013
guildford
10. Re: Changes to the island .

sorry penny misread your post shame you wont return.as we havnt been there for 40 years we will no doubt find it changed.we will see.to the above post i share some of the sentiments but will also look into it and keep an open mind.let you know.

Reply to: Changes to the island .
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted