We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 7
Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Greetings,

My husband and I from the US will be visiting our daughter who is a student at Cambridge in April during her spring break for a few days. We'd like to see Cambridge but I also would like to see and photograph birds. I've been told the Welney WWT is a good destination as is the Norfolk Coast, but I don't know where along the Norfolk Coast. Also, I'm a bit stunned by how expensive the hotels in Cambridge are, and I'm wondering what towns close to the birding areas might be more affordable for a couple days as well as interesting scenically or historically, since two out of the three of us aren't as keen on the birds as am I. Would appreciate any input.

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 107
1. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

svb28

Accomadation prices are very high in this area but you can find good deals at the "chain motels" ie Travel Lodge, Premier Inn and Holiday Express.

Welney is less than an hour away and you may find a B and B in the vicinity. The Norfolk Coast is great for wildlife . I particulary like Winterton and Sea Palling and again ,you should be able to find cheaper accomadation there no big hotels but nice little Band Bs. its about 2 hours away

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 25
2. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Welney is best in winter, when you get all the migrant swans and waders - worth a visit at other times, but quieter bird-wise

You might try Wicken Fen which is closer to Cambridge - it's preserved wetland from when this whole area (north of Cambridge) was a huge marsh/swamp before being drained. Wicken is also close to Ely which is a nice town and has a lot of historical interest (amazing cathedral, nice small old town, also associated with our 17th century revolutionary Oliver Cromwell, whose house is now the Tourist Office)

On North Norfolk coast, there are bird reserves all along. Titchwell (near Brancaster) is a big one, also Cley Marshes. Maybe stay in Wells next the Sea, which is a lovely little fishing port/small holiday resort with a really handy bus service which runs up and down the coast? The non birders can find plenty to keep them occupied in Wells itself, Walsingham (slightly weird old village built round an abbey, it's a pilgrimage site hence the oddness), Holt (lovely old Georgian town)

As for affordable hotels, as has been said look at the chain motel places or small B&Bs, if you are looking at places like Crowne Plaza et al then it will cost you

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 41
3. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Here is to give you an idea of Ely:

http://tinyurl.com/ykgqs36

Edited: 4:49 am, March 01, 2012
London
reviews: 35
4. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

You could also try Fen Drayton Lakes, between Swavesey and St Ives.

They couldn't be easier to get to from Cambridge - bus routes A, B and C run from the City Centre along the Cambridgeshire Guided Busway - which has a request stop slap-bang in the middle of the lakes!

rspb.org.uk/reserves/…about.aspx

www.thebusway.info

reviews: 7
5. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Thanks so very much to all for your ideas. So far we plan on having a car. Even the chain hotels in Cambridge seem quite pricey - perhaps it's the season.

In the areas outside of Cambridge, are the B&Bs places we could stay in for only one or two nights and could we be spontaneous or would we need to reserve in advance?

england
reviews: 8
6. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

What are your holiday dates? things are definitely pricier around Easter.B and Bs are usually booked 'by the night' but if you require two rooms you might be best to book in advance.

I think you would like North Norfolk, travel up through Ely to King's Lynn which has an ancient marketplace, then to the 12th century castle at Castle Rising ,and the Queen's home at Sandringham, anywhere along the Norfolk coast is lovely, flint villages with cosy pubs, in fact a pub with rooms would be my choice for a night out.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
reviews: 22
7. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

You could also consider Suffolk for birdwatching.

suffolktouristguide.com/Birdwatching-In-Suff…

UK
reviews: 194
8. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Hi,I think it's Menzies Hotel at bar hill have a golf course plus on site resturant, free wifi and on the Citi6 from Cambridge every 20 minutes if that helps although there's Holiday Inn at Histon and that could be cheaper to also Travelodge does have a branch at Cambridge Lesuire Park and Orchard Park and there is a hotel on Hills Rd just past the sixth form college but it all depends on location, as there's one on Cherry Hinton Road to all these arent in the city so may be cheaper to. Also Orchard Park is on route B on the busway.

england
reviews: 8
9. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Yes, Minsmere would fit the bill, I have actually got a day booked there in May with 'Anglian Bird Tours' but they dont have a website and I cant comment on them until I've been.

svb, while in Cambridge please go to the American Cemetary, we went there one Xmas when picking up our son from University, the rows and rows of white gravestones all bearing names of lads his age actually had me in tears but it puts our troubles with our children in perspective. It is a beautiful peaceful place.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 41
10. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Here is the American Cemetary:

http://tinyurl.com/373qqah