We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early to get to train station?

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 10
How early to get to train station?

Hi! We will be taking a 16:10 train to London Stansted in late June. How early should we be at the Cambridge Rail Station? I'm trying to work out a rough timeline for us. Thanks!

Texas
11. Re: How early to get to train station?

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of your input. I think that we will stick with the train. Pintpot-where is this "fast ticket" machine? We will definitely get our tickets in advance.

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 121
12. Re: How early to get to train station?

Go to the right of the main station building and there is a ticket office that sells them in advance.

Texas
13. Re: How early to get to train station?

Thanks MATTHEWVH! Should I buy them before I leave the US or wait until I get into the UK? We will arrive on Sat the 24th, and we will go to CBG from London on Thurs the 28th. Later that night, we are flying into to Shannon from Stansted to continue our trip.

Cotswolds
14. Re: How early to get to train station?

It doesn't matter when you buy them - tickets for this journey are the same price on the day as in advance. You might for example want to buy them at a station in London (choose a quiet time) during your stay there

How are you getting to Cambridge? You could buy them in the same operation if it's by train

At Cambridge there will be a bank of 3 fast ticket machines in the booking hall.

Edited: 8:15 am, January 16, 2012
15. Re: How early to get to train station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:18 pm, January 16, 2012
Cambridge
reviews: 265
16. Re: How early to get to train station?

I use Cambridge station several times a week and have only twice failed to buy a ticket with ten minutes to spare (and that's in about ten years). I'm usually there at commuter times. You won't have to queue particularly unless it is a Friday afternoon when lots of people are travelling.

The platforms are about one or two minutes from the ticket hall.

If you are staying in Cambridge for a few days before hand (which I guess you are) then you can always pop in and buy a ticket in advance - just be sure to let them know the date you want to travel. You don't save time buying on line as you still have to queue to pick up the ticket from the machine and it is the same machine as buying on the day.

However, I'd be more concerned as to whether the train will turn up. There seem to be a lot of issues with the Stansted train which is often running late or cancelled. So, I would advise you to check out the times of the alternative route by train which is train to Bishops Stortford and change for Stansted. Then I'd make sure to allow for having to do that.

If you need to park your car, forget it at that time of day the car park will be full.

Hope that doesn't make it sound too complicated, travelling by train from Cambridge is easy and the trains take you right into Stansted airport so it really is very convenient.

17. Re: How early to get to train station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, February 15, 2013