We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touristy things for the evening

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
reviews: 8
Touristy things for the evening

Which of the "tourist" sights can I visit after 5/6? I will be in business meetings all day, so wondering what I can have a look at in the evenings.

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 16
1. Re: Touristy things for the evening

I'm not sure - unfortunately I think most if not all of the colleges are only open to visitors until 5 ish. If it's summer you should still be able to get a punt tour up the river to see the grounds of the colleges on the river from there. But other than that I'm drawing a bit of a blank. I don't know the opening hours of Great St Mary's, the university church (which has a tower you can climb), but I suspect it's probably 5 ish, and the Fitzwilliam Museum shuts at 5 too.

There are "Ghost tours" (and "Ghost punt tours") of Cambridge - www.visitcambridge.org/visitors/unique.php… (and scroll down a bit). I've no idea how good these are though!

usa
2. Re: Touristy things for the evening

I assume I can still roam around and see the colleges/cathedral from outside....can I get access to the "backs" after the college is closed?

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 16
3. Re: Touristy things for the evening

Oh yes, you can still walk around everything from the outside, no problem. You can peer in through some of the side gates when they're open too...

The backs... well I guess it kind of depends on your definition! Lots of what people think of as "the backs" are part of college grounds. But you can certainly walk along Queens Road where you get a good view of the back of the river colleges

usa
4. Re: Touristy things for the evening

Great! Will update my "to do " list accordingly :-))

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 25
5. Re: Touristy things for the evening

Just walking around and getting a feel for the architecture.....summer evenings are long and lovely, won't be dark until about 10pm

You can walk on the other side of the river (on the path, closer in than Queen's Rd) and up Garret Hostel Lane any time, and can see a fair bit from there

Punts are still available as well in the early evening. Easier than it looks ;-)

usa
6. Re: Touristy things for the evening

Cool! Will keep it in mind. Thanks!

7. Re: Touristy things for the evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, September 01, 2009