We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bristol Taxies

Which Bristol hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reykjavik, Iceland
reviews: 4
Bristol Taxies

What is it about Bristol taxi drivers not driving you all the way to your asked destination? Me and my son were in Bristol last week, and myself hired a taxi two times from Cabot Circus to the Doubletree hotel, but the first one let us off at a roundabout 500 meters away, and said that was close enough, as the hotel was on the wrong side of the road, the other one asked me if wanted to be driven all the way to hotel, and I said yes, as it was windy and raining a lot, and the main reason for being in a taxi anyway, but he did not drive me all the way to the hotel door, but let me off at the street below the hotel. Very strange.

shoestring-UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Bristol Taxies

I could tell you the sad story of struggling taxi drivers who work for a percentage of the fares they take and have seen their income plunge since the recession. I could explain that drivers only make money if they can pick up a return fare close to where they drop you off... and those facing a long drive back to the rank where they will be waiting in line for the next hour are often earning less than half the minimum legal wage, But you don't want to hear that.

We Brits are not that good at 'service culture' we are still shaking off the remnants of our ancient class system. We are notoriously bad at tipping and saying thank you.. the things that oil the wheels. Since Mrs Thatcher's days politeness in transactions has been replaced by money and since the recession we are all feeling like we have been treated rudely.

The fact is when your life sucks and you are struggling to feed your family it is really hard to stay happy and cheerful for your customers. Passengers are annoyed that they have to pay good money just to get where they need to go and really don't have time in their lives to care about the drivers woes. Next time your driver does a good job... and provided good service... please reward them with a hearty thank you and even a tip, it really will be appreciated.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 65
2. Re: Bristol Taxies

From Cabot Circus to Redcliffe is a 15 minute walk. Even a bit of wind and rain wouldn't have made me get a taxi in Bristol. After a few rip-off experiences there, and also in Bath where I was once charges £7 to go 2 miles (and that was about 6 years ago!), I stay well clear of them. Same in Liverpool where some taxi drivers like to take you the long way round!

Reykjavik, Iceland
3. Re: Bristol Taxies

Don´t get me wrong, I tipped both taxi drivers well for their service. I had more of the feeling that they did not like that hotel that much, because I also noticed that all taxies ordered to the hotel were private hire taxis, but not the ordinary blue taxis.

shoestring-UK
reviews: 14
4. Re: Bristol Taxies

I think tipping drivers that do a bad job only encourages more bad behavior... must be true what they say about the good folk of Iceland being some of the friendliest in the world... makes me want to go there one day to see for myself.

Reykjavik, Iceland
5. Re: Bristol Taxies

shoestring-UK you are always welcome up here, go to the Iceland forum, to see what to expect, and plan your visit.

Bristol, United...
6. Re: Bristol Taxies

Totally hacked off with taxis, Christmas eve three of us outside of hippodrome at about midnight blue cab three destinations had to pay upfront not cheap and really not a problem but unusual!! dropped me off first and basically chucked the other two out at the same time one about a mile away and the other about 2.5 miles from their destination yes we had a few drinks but not stupidly drunk and carrying presents if we were in our 20's maybe but we are all over 50!!!!! will be paying family next year to taxi us around.

totally hacked off.

wish I got is reg?

its all about getting what you are paying for no more no less.

Rant Over

Edited: 6:05 am, December 31, 2013
bristol
reviews: 1
7. Re: Bristol Taxies

Bristol taxi drivers and cost. No comment.

8. Re: Bristol Taxies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 03, 2015