We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Martha's Vineyard

Which Cape Cod hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 6
Getting to Martha's Vineyard

Hey all -

I am traveling to Martha's Vineyard from New York City in late September for a wedding. Making a long weekend out of the occasion and REALLY looking forward to it. We will be staying from Thursday until Sunday.

I don't want to take the boat from NYC as it is WAY too expensive. Plus doesn't look like any leave on a Thursday.

I do have a car but I don't want to bring it on the island with me.

Where is the best place I can drive to and park my car and then take a ferry? I am staying in Oak Bluffs.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

~L

4 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 111
1. Re: Getting to Martha's Vineyard

see my response to your other post

Hartford...
2. Re: Getting to Martha's Vineyard

And mine as well.

Falmouth...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Getting to Martha's Vineyard

I think the easiest way is to drive right to Falmouth and park at the "Palmer Ave." lot for the Steamship Authority. (In September, there's always a chance you could park right in Woods Hole at the terminal, but taking the shuttle bus from Palmer Ave isn't bad.) Figure 4 1/2 hours from the GW Bridge to the Bourne Bridge (It's almost exactly 250 miles via I-95); 20-30 minutes from the Bourne Bridge to Palmer Ave or Woods Hole.

There's always Peter Pan Bus from the Port Authority. On that route, there's a 30 minute layover in Providence and then you change buses in Bourne; direct from there to the ferry terminal. Their schedule is limited and they keep going up on the fare, so I wouldn't lobby too hard for that way to go, but it is an option. If you're lucky, you won't get a bus with 6 live chickens and a goat travelling as well.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 20
4. Re: Getting to Martha's Vineyard

Since you don't need your car on MV you might check Jet Blue for fligths from NYC to MV. They did have some specials a while ago. That would sure take the hassle out of the trip and enhance your fun.

Reply to: Getting to Martha's Vineyard
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod