We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car

Which Cape Cod hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quezon City...
P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car

Hi! I am a solo traveler and will be in Boston from Oct 8-12 only. So what I was thinking was to spend Oct 8-9 in Boston, then go to Cape Cod and be back in Boston in time for my Oct 12 3pm bus ride back to NYC.

When I told my friends I want to explore that part of the US, some advised me to go to P-Town, and some said to ditch P-Town and go to Martha's Vineyard instead. Is it possible to go to both?

If yes, logistically, should I start with P-town then go to M.V. then back to Boston? Or should it be the other way around? How can I get to and from P-Town and M.V.?

Lastly, if you are forced to choose to go to just 1, which one would you recommend?

I am a foodie and I like to relax, sit at cafes while reading a book/people watching, walk around town, admire unique architecture and take in the lighthouses and scenery. The beach will be ok but I'm not really a superfan since I'm from the Philippines and beaches are spectacular in my country. I've always wanted to go to Cape Cod for the relaxed atmosphere, nautical vibe, seafood, etc.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
reviews: 120
1. Re: P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car

Since you do not have a car and have only a short time available I would recommend going to Provincetown only. You can get there easily on the ferry and do not need a car once you are there. Martha's Vineyard is a much longer trip from Boston and a much larger place to try to explore.

www.baystatecruisecompany.com/schedule.html

http://www.provincetowntourismoffice.org/

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 100
2. Re: P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car

Hi, it actually isn't that much longer a trip to the Vineyard from Boston, you would take Peter Pan bus lines from South Station to the ferry dock at Woods Hole - 1 hour 45 minutes, then the ferry from WH to Martha's Vineyard, 45 minutes. The total cost is less than the P-town ferry - $68 round trip vs. $87. There is also excellent, inexpensive public transportation on the island.

Both Ptown & the Vineyard are wonderful places so it is really up to you. (just didn't want you to rule out the Vineyard because of logistics)

Boston...
reviews: 125
3. Re: P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car

My vote is for P-town for sure.

Boston...
reviews: 124
4. Re: P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car

Martha's Vineyard is very different from P-Town. You should read up on each to make your decision.

5. Re: P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 31, 2014