We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car

Which Cape Cod hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quezon City...
P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car

Hi! I am a solo traveler and will be in Boston from Oct 8-12 only. So what I was thinking was to spend Oct 8-9 in Boston, then go to Cape Cod and be back in Boston in time for my Oct 12 3pm bus ride back to NYC.

When I told my friends I want to explore that part of the US, some advised me to go to P-Town, and some said to ditch P-Town and go to Martha's Vineyard instead. Is it possible to go to both?

If yes, logistically, should I start with P-town then go to M.V. then back to Boston? Or should it be the other way around? How can I get to and from P-Town and M.V.?

Lastly, if you are forced to choose to go to just 1, which one would you recommend?

I am a foodie and I like to relax, sit at cafes while reading a book/people watching, walk around town, admire unique architecture and take in the lighthouses and scenery. The beach will be ok but I'm not really a superfan since I'm from the Philippines and beaches are spectacular in my country. I've always wanted to go to Cape Cod for the relaxed atmosphere, nautical vibe, seafood, etc.

4 replies to this topic
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
reviews: 105
1. Re: P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car

Since you do not have a car and have only a short time available I would recommend going to Provincetown only. You can get there easily on the ferry and do not need a car once you are there. Martha's Vineyard is a much longer trip from Boston and a much larger place to try to explore.

www.baystatecruisecompany.com/schedule.html

http://www.provincetowntourismoffice.org/

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 100
2. Re: P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car

Hi, it actually isn't that much longer a trip to the Vineyard from Boston, you would take Peter Pan bus lines from South Station to the ferry dock at Woods Hole - 1 hour 45 minutes, then the ferry from WH to Martha's Vineyard, 45 minutes. The total cost is less than the P-town ferry - $68 round trip vs. $87. There is also excellent, inexpensive public transportation on the island.

Both Ptown & the Vineyard are wonderful places so it is really up to you. (just didn't want you to rule out the Vineyard because of logistics)

Boston...
reviews: 119
3. Re: P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car

My vote is for P-town for sure.

Boston...
reviews: 114
4. Re: P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car

Martha's Vineyard is very different from P-Town. You should read up on each to make your decision.

Reply to: P-Town and Martha's Vineyard without a Car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted