We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to find a last minute rental?

Lewiston, Maine
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Best place to find a last minute rental?

I am looking for a last-minute, inexpensive beach rental, as due to our family situation (we are caregivers for an elderly relative) we are unable to plan too far ahead, and rarely are able to take a week long vacation. It isn't always easy, but we try to make it work! I was wondering where the best place to look for a last-minute rental would be. Last year was our first time rental a week-long cottage, and we got very lucky finding something on short notice. Not having that luck this year!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
8,975 posts
1 review
1. Re: Best place to find a last minute rental?

www.weneedavacation.com has lots of rentals. You can narrow it down by town, number of bedrooms, price etc. If you have a favourite town on the Cape then contact realtors in that area.

Boston...
Level Contributor
90 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Best place to find a last minute rental?

I would also check out VRBO.com and Homeaway.com. I have had a few friends that have even been able to bargain with the the owners to get a rate lower than that published due to the fact it was last minute and available. Good luck

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
481 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Best place to find a last minute rental?

I've had luck with my listings on www.airbnb.com and some of my tenants via it have had other good experiences via it -- and some places on it aren't listed elesewhere due to how they operate (no fee to host, guest pays booking fee)

Lawrenceville, NJ
Level Contributor
21 posts
132 reviews
4. Re: Best place to find a last minute rental?

We have been working with Chatham Vacation Rentals for years, and happily so. The staff is professional, responsive, and the properties as advertised. I never hesitate to use them.

Lewiston, Maine
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Best place to find a last minute rental?

Thanks everyone, we got one!

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
481 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Best place to find a last minute rental?

Glad you found a place!

Just wanted to clarify my prior posting: Hosts do not pay any listing fee on Airbnb so if you don't get any rentals, you aren't losing money but hosts are charged a 3% processing fee on payments to cover the credit card or PayPal fees as Airbnb passes those on to us.

The absence of a fee just to list a rental is what attracted me to Airbnb and recently FlipKey (Trip Advisor) began a similar style product (at least in beta).

7. Re: Best place to find a last minute rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 05, 2014