We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animals on the Outer Cape

Which Cape Cod hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 57
Animals on the Outer Cape

I have been visiting this area for years. I have never "bumped into" such a variety of animals as I have the past week or so.

I posted about the "turtle crossing" last week.

On Saturday night we went stargazing at Racepoint Beach and we saw coyotes in the dunes right near the entrance to Herring Cove Beach. In fact we stopped at the exit from HC and watched one sniffing the road in front of our car. The was a second one but it stayed in the brush, only peaking out occasionally.

We also heard a loon at Racepoint.

Then last night, after leaving the drive in my headlights caught a pair of eyes on the side of the road. I didn't get a good look but I THINK it was a fox.

Then there was the leashed pig with the pink t-shirt in Ptown and the usual collection of dogs and all the expected birds such as seagulls and plovers and so on. However I was surprised to see quite a few Canada Geese around this year .,,

So, that is my animal report. ;)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 3
11. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

Send the rooster to Bermuda, they have quite a problem with feral chickens. Some of them have beautiful colours and markings but not many people are happy being woken up at the crack of dawn by the cocka-doodle-doing.

Cute to see the little chicks running around though and they entertain the children.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 100
12. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

We had a lovely vacation on St. John last Christmas (we have a lot of animal interactions during our holidays) and there was a rooster who lived right below the place we were staying & woke us up every morning. Part of the local charm, I guess!

Boston...
13. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

Maybe the Animal Rescue League of Cape Cod would have some advice for you about the rooster. I've found the Boston branch very helpful.

reviews: 12
14. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

Thanks ting...that is exactly the route we took. This morning DH left the porch door open with a little cracked corn as an inducement. Our feathered friend came right in. We covered him as he hopped into a large basket and delivered him to the Animal Rescue League in Brewster. Coincidentally, they recently had a request for a rooster from someone in Harwich who was looking to increase their flock.

Sooooo, happy ending to this saga. "George" is now keeping someone ELSE awake at 6 am!! :-)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 57
15. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

Good work yellowbird!!!

Boston...
16. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

Yellowbird, so glad that worked out so well. A win/win situation. And no more early wake-up calls!

Miami Beach, Florida
reviews: 23
17. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

Am in North Truro right now. Yesterday in the late afternoon a coyote passed within 4 feet of my back patio on a clearing behind the Braemar, somewhere between Shore Road and Whale Watch Drive.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
reviews: 120
18. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

The last time that I stayed in North Eastham (2006) I had coyotes in my backyard. And that was in a populated area.

Miami Beach, Florida
reviews: 23
19. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

Wow. This was the the first I saw than other than on TV. It (or a similar looking one) came back two days later in the early am. Yesterday I saw a red fox on the road to Nauset Light Beach.

20. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 13, 2014