We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animals on the Outer Cape

Which Cape Cod hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 62
Animals on the Outer Cape

I have been visiting this area for years. I have never "bumped into" such a variety of animals as I have the past week or so.

I posted about the "turtle crossing" last week.

On Saturday night we went stargazing at Racepoint Beach and we saw coyotes in the dunes right near the entrance to Herring Cove Beach. In fact we stopped at the exit from HC and watched one sniffing the road in front of our car. The was a second one but it stayed in the brush, only peaking out occasionally.

We also heard a loon at Racepoint.

Then last night, after leaving the drive in my headlights caught a pair of eyes on the side of the road. I didn't get a good look but I THINK it was a fox.

Then there was the leashed pig with the pink t-shirt in Ptown and the usual collection of dogs and all the expected birds such as seagulls and plovers and so on. However I was surprised to see quite a few Canada Geese around this year .,,

So, that is my animal report. ;)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 116
1. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

Love it! a few years ago we were there Christmas week staying in Brewster. Traveling to Harwich for dinner one night, we caught a large canine in the headlights - I swore it was a wolf, but it probably was a coyote.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 1
2. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

Good report !! It's a good idea to tell people what they can look out for other than the usual crabs, fish etc. When we stayed in Eastham we used to have some green herons nesting in the trees on the property. Blue herons can usually be spotted in the various marsh areas. We have seen snakes occasionally, perfectly harmless ones which are more wary of you than you of them. Then of course racoons, squirrels and the odd skunk.Then there is the bird which only sings after dark, can't think what it's called.

Would love to see the pink clad pig.

Edited: 1:41 pm, August 26, 2013
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 1
3. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

A good place to see shore birds is from the end of the parking lot at Coast Guard Beach. Take your binoculars. Horseshoe crabs can be found in Pleasant Bay.

Edited: 2:23 pm, August 26, 2013
cape cod
4. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

We definitely have foxes and coyotes,, sometimes you can hear them howling at night!

Boston...
5. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

Forgot, last week a bobcat was identified from a couple's video of him (her) in their driveway in Falmouth. So be on the lookout going home--you're on a roll!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
reviews: 145
6. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

Unfortunately the Cape Cod Bear of a few years ago was removed to off-Cape.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 116
7. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

yes, he was caught in a tree in Belmont & released in the Berkshires, I believe

reviews: 12
8. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

OK, I have one for you. Really, you can have it if you want it. Someone apparently decided to get rid of their rooster and deposited him on Fort Hill. He's a handsome fella with a big crow. He has taken to hanging around our place. Although we think he's entertaining, he is not exactly what we had in mind for our guests at 6 am in the morning. Know what I mean? We would love it if someone would relocate him with some hens. He is kinda lonesome here and tends to follow all the tourists around at the Penniman House.

If you can catch him....you can have him!!! Please!! Otherwise, we will have to figure out some kind of permanent solution.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 62
9. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

Oh my!! I could do without the rooster wake up!!! My neighbor saw a wild turkey in the dunes while driving over-sand (special equipment and permit required). Oh and my husband and kids won't out on a fishing party boat and nobody on the trip caught anything but they saw a minke whale just off of Race Point.

cape cod
10. Re: Animals on the Outer Cape

Yes, I've also seen the wild turkeys roaming! Quite a sight!

Btw, my sightings have been in the midcape area.

Edited: 4:28 pm, August 26, 2013