We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish

Which Cape Cod hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CT
reviews: 19
Jellyfish

Is the cape experiencing an overpopulation of jellyfish at the beaches?one of my customers just told me she read it somewhere

37 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 51
31. Re: Jellyfish

B M ... I am sorry you two got stung thanks for the website.

We have been swimming Bayside at Truro. We have seen a few little ones, no tentacles. The kids have been playing with them.

The water is warmer than I ever remember it. Wade right in ... No hesitating to adjust to the coldness.

Edited: 7:28 am, August 22, 2013
Allentown...
32. Re: Jellyfish

Went to Craigville beach on 8/20, got stung from my ankles to my upper arms several large welts in pretty bad pain. I had to get some Benadryl, because I started to sneeze a lot and having a bad reaction. I was in water up to my chest when I was attacked. The lifeguard was nice enough to spray me with vinegar which helped temporarily.

Brookline, MA, USA
reviews: 12
33. Re: Jellyfish

We have been on Cape Cod Aug 18-24, and I usually swim along Craigville beach every day.

I was stung the second day, and was swimming after that in my windsurfing full-upper-body shirt, but saw jellyfish every day. On the very last day, I decided to venture for a minute in the water without the shirt and was stung in less than a minute. About half of my family were also stung. We have been going to the Cape for 20 years, and have never seen so many jellyfish. Global warming?

Boston and...
reviews: 31
34. Re: Jellyfish

Never sure what I'm seeing when I see lots of one-offs, but there have been reports of Man-O-War sightings off the Cape for the first time this far north ever, this summer. But they are mostly obvious. Meaning, they are obvious above the surface. But what's not obvious is that the tentacles are really long. Not that any sane person would want to check them out. Just saying that there have been confirmed reports, including photos.

Just when "our" sharks seem to have turned the PR corner to (albeit smartly) "live and let live" status.....

Edited: 2:24 pm, August 27, 2013
Boston and...
reviews: 31
35. Re: Jellyfish

>> (albeit smartly)

...Meaning, stay far away from seals.

Edited: 2:30 pm, August 27, 2013
Hyannis...
36. Re: Jellyfish

Oh a lot at the covell's beach in Hyannis, next to the Craigville beach.

Boston...
reviews: 52
37. Re: Jellyfish

We've had small jellyfish on the Brewster Flats for the past two months. They are not the kind that sting, however, so no issues!

Reply to: Jellyfish
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted