We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish

Which Cape Cod hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CT
reviews: 19
Jellyfish

Is the cape experiencing an overpopulation of jellyfish at the beaches?one of my customers just told me she read it somewhere

37 replies to this topic
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown
reviews: 95
1. Re: Jellyfish

I haven't seen anything anywhere. There is a website for jellyfish sightings, but nothing much in the northeast.

http://www.jellywatch.org/sightings_list

Boston...
reviews: 86
2. Re: Jellyfish

I didn't see any when we were on the cape a couple weeks ago in South Yarmouth.

CT
3. Re: Jellyfish

Ok good,I had to check w the forum.she said something about it being a problem because of the warmer water.but i don't see how the water is any warmer this yr that past yrs

Boston...
reviews: 86
4. Re: Jellyfish

Well, I do agree that the water is warmer. I grew up on the cape and I don't remember the water ever being this warm. The posted temp at the station when we drove in was 71 degrees.

Boston...
reviews: 17
5. Re: Jellyfish

There were some tiny jellyfish at Ridgevale Beach a couple of weeks ago. They werent stinging anyone however - just a few tiny blobs of jelly like material floating around. I wouldnt have even noticed them if someone hadnt pointed them out. No jellyfish at Nauset that I noticed although there could be. So let me just state that I have not been bitten by a jellyfish this year even though there have been sitings.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 51
6. Re: Jellyfish

I just searched for jellyfish on the Boston Globe website and found nothing relevant

Boston...
7. Re: Jellyfish

The water at Marconi beach was listed today at a balmy 62F. No jellyfish.

cape cod
reviews: 5
8. Re: Jellyfish

We don't usually have that problem here (knocking on wood) as our waters aren't really that warm. We have the occasional blob sort of jelly fish (no tentacles hanging) I see them on the beach when I go walking now and then but not many of them and not very often. I don't know what sort of jelly they are.

Susan

cape cod
9. Re: Jellyfish

So far, so good, this year, I've only occasionally seen the blob ones. Last summer, was unusual, I was stung many times from big ones with the tentacles, in the sound beaches; hope that we won't see any of them this year!

CT
10. Re: Jellyfish

I'm glad to hear the water seems to be warmer this year! it seemed pretty warm last July.beaches here are alot colder

Reply to: Jellyfish
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted