We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time in cape cod - where to stay?

Which Cape Cod hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 27
first time in cape cod - where to stay?

hello, similar to a recent post.

We are travelling from New York to Cape Cod in August (we will hire a car) - plan is to stay 6 nights. Have not got a clue where to stay (area). Having had a look at some older posts too, it seems every place is pretty nice. After our six nights, we plan to drive and finish in Boston. Would prefer to take day trip to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket (is this feasible?).

Reading other websites, it looks like Chatham and Brewster would be good places?

Any reccommended places to stay - budget is between $$ and $$$

Sorry if this is a daft question, but i am unsure, of the distance also between the places in Cape Cod. Like to see things, as well as beaches and since we will have transport am happy to travel

This will be the relaxing part of the vacation!

Thanks

25 replies to this topic
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 3
21. Re: first time in cape cod - where to stay?

Unfortunately, instead of starting her own post sherie88 asked her question on this post. Causes confusion when people do that. Similar question to the original poster but that has moved on a bit.

London, United...
reviews: 27
22. Re: first time in cape cod - where to stay?

Hello!

I said I would keep you updated of our trip, so here goes:

We arrived late afternoon in Cape Cod, weary but still buzzing from the high of our four crazy days in NYC to the beautiful and quiet grounds of Oceans Edge. We checked in and did a long walk of the property and then the beach, it was empty as it had been raining all day, but the view was just spectacular. The hotel was a really good recommendation - so thankyou!

That evening we ate in Bayzo Pub within the hotel. The food was lovely, the wine even better and a big thanks to Ted and Andrew for all your great advice.

Day One - had breakfast at Hopkins House – a lovely bakery with yummy homemade muffins, then we went onto spend the day in Chatham. Got lucky with the parking and just had a good day browsing - it took ages, as we chatted to all the very polite locals in the shops, which are just quaint. There were also lots of outdoor stalls set up by individuals selling all sorts of things, and the whole area had a real buzz about it without being over the top. Bought a few gifts for family and friends and then stopped for a late lunch at the Captains Table – nice sandwiches and a great outside seating area.

Went back to the hotel, to shower, rest(!) and went back later into Chatham to eat dinner at Bistro on the Main. Parking was a bit more difficult as it was really busy. I loved the restaurant and had the most amazing fish cooked Portuguese style.

Day Two - Martha’s Vineyard. Idea was to get the 10.15am Island Queen Ferry but we hadn’t quite acclimatised to the change in UK to US time difference, and we were up really early, so decided just to get on the road and head down to Falmouth. The drive wasn’t too bad and we got the 9.00am ferry, which on hindsight was better as the parking was just crazy at 8.30am, never mind if we had got there later! The ferry was pretty full and the journey was good – nice warm breeze and thankfully quiet seas :) - no sea sickness for us, thankyou v much!

We spent a lovely day day at MV. Stopped off at a bakery to get food and took it to eat out near the harbour. It was just glorious, with the warm sun on our backs, watching the world go by as we munched our bagels and drank our hot coffee – actually, I could have just spent the whole day there. But we didn’t! Took the HOHO bus through EdgarTown and Oaks Bluff, stopping off at the beach half way through. Took the late afternoon ferry back, and just stopped for a quick pizza slice before going back to the hotel, exhaused but happy.

Day Three - breakfast at Brewster Coffee Shop – massive plate of food – eggs, bacon, toast, fruit and an ice coffee – yum. Spent the rest of the day at the Beach at Ocean’s Edge – just wonderfully relaxing. Had dinner at Morrelli’s in Brewster – nice pasta and wine.

Day Four – Still adjusting to the time zone, so up slightly later than anticipated, but decided we just had to go to ProvinceTown. Got stuck in a bit of traffic, so did quick detour to Dunkin Donuts – this was my first ever trip to a DD – and oh boy – what have I been thinking missing out here all these years!!

Either I was super hungry or really the donuts were just out of this world – for a ‘chain restaurant’ I was just in heaven with the donuts, that I could have easily eaten three, but decided that my already expanding waistline and sugar rush needed to be controlled! Coffee not so great, I have to say (a bit bitter?)

P Town was a blast – what a really cool place! Had a really fun day. Ate lunch at the Local 186 – and deffo the best veggie burger I have ever eaten. The day flew by, and soon we were back driving to Brewster. Quick stop at hotel and refreshed we went to dine at The Wild Goose Tavern in Chatham. Another fantastic meal of onion rings, followed by Cod and Mash.

Last Day – just spent by the beach and pool at Ocean’s Edge and ate at the restaurant at the hotel. A really good way to finish our time at the Cape. Left sharp the next day and as suggested by 3yrs2go went to the outlet while we had the car – what a great suggestion that was, cos as usual, I bought a few more things than planned ;)

All in all, we had the most amazing holiday. We were really sad to leave – the places we visited are just beautiful and people we met were just so nice and friendly. The fish we ate was the best ever and it has really put me off eating fish elsewhere!

Thankyou all for your good advice and tips – it really made our holiday.

cape cod
23. Re: first time in cape cod - where to stay?

Thanks for your update, sounded like a great trip, glad y'all enjoyed it!

Boston...
24. Re: first time in cape cod - where to stay?

It sounds like a wonderful time. Thanks so much for reporting back. Reading about your meals has made me very hungry!

Boston...
reviews: 86
25. Re: first time in cape cod - where to stay?

Great report! Thanks for coming back and letting us know how your trip was. Glad you had a good time.

Reply to: first time in cape cod - where to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted