We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last minute rental discounts

Which Cape Cod hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
last minute rental discounts

We are planning a week's stay in the Eastham area 13th-20th July. Coming form the UK, arriving US 4th July. We have found a bunch of rental homes still available, and we're finding it difficult to choose between them. They are also very expensive compared to similar holiday homes in Europe. Since there are quite a few still available, I was wondering about leaving booking until the week before we come to the Cape and seeing whether we can get a last minute discount. Is this a wise or foolish strategy?

6 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 51
1. Re: last minute rental discounts

Not wise. July is about as "high season" as it gets. In fact I think this is already last minute. It is only 3 weeks away. At this late stage, you may want to engage the services of a realtor who could give you a realistic view of the property. We have all heard the stories of how reality is much different than photos and expectations. And by now, most of the best properties are gone.

Edited: 6:56 am, June 23, 2013
Yarmouth, MA
2. Re: last minute rental discounts

I agree 1000% with forgotmypword. Although it's sometimes possible to find a rental owner who's offering a discounted rate in July, that's the rare exception.

Here's what I'd suggest ...

If you've found several rentals that you like, get in touch with the owners/agents of those rentals immediately, preferably by phone. Ask a lot of questions about the property. If you have any doubts about the actual condition of the property or any of the amenities, ask for current (date-stamped) photos to be emailed to you.

And ask if they're willing to offer you a discount. Since it is soooo last minute right now, perhaps you might get lucky, finding a nice rental where there's been a last-minute cancellation and the owner/agent is desperate to fill the open week. But seriously - don't count on it.

Whatever you do, don't wait any longer to reserve a place to stay on Cape Cod!

Edited: 8:01 am, June 23, 2013
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 3
3. Re: last minute rental discounts

Because we stay for at least three weeks, we always ask whether there is any flexibility in the rental price. We are on the Cape in September now instead of the popular summer months and prices have already been discounted a little but we still ask. Very politely I must add, and usually we have had a favourable response.

Which rental sites are you using? I don't agree that all the best rentals are gone by now. There's always plenty to choose from if you have some flexibility.

You might be better off going with a realtor if you are at all worried about the authenticity of a rental on a website. But the realtors use these websites too if you notice.

There is never any harm in trying to negotiate a better price. The worst that can happen is that you get a no.

Edited: 12:26 pm, June 23, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
4. Re: last minute rental discounts

thanks for advice - we're using homeaway.com and vrbo, any others we should be looking at?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
5. Re: last minute rental discounts

You can try www.weneedavacation.com We have used several realtors in Orleans who have listings in Eastham as well. www.wilkinsonre.com is one of them we have used the most.

If you have any questions about locations in Eastham please ask. Yellowbird, who has a bed and breakfast in a lovely part of Eastham, will be glad to answer any general questions that you have about the area and so will others on this forum.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
6. Re: last minute rental discounts

Just out of interest I checked Wilkinson's website. They have six rentals available in Eastham for the July 13 week. Range in price from $900 to $1200 for that week.

Reply to: last minute rental discounts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted