We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car ferry from Provincetown to Boston?

Which Cape Cod hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
reviews: 16
Car ferry from Provincetown to Boston?

Hi,

We are picking up a rental care at Boston Logan on June 9th to spend 3 nights in Hyannis. We were planning on driving down but thought we might return to Boston via the ferry from Provincetown - however I can not seem to find anywhere if this is in fact a car ferry or only for foot passengers? Can anyone advise? If there is a car ferry a) would we need to book the car in advance? and b) how often does it go back and forth per day and c) any idea of costs? We need to be back in Boston city centre by around 1pm on June 12th to drop the car back (to keep within our 3 day pre-paid rental).As we will only have 2 full days in Hyannis any suggestions on where we should go in that time? We are a family with two teenage boys. We would like to go to either Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard from Hyannis. Which would be best/quickest to get to bearing in mind the short time available? What to do there - hire bikes?? The second day we would like to tour some of Cape Cod by car - any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Massachusetts
reviews: 25
1. Re: Car ferry from Provincetown to Boston?

The Provincetown ferry is passenger-only, no vehicles.

It's easy to take a day-trip from Hyannis to either Nantucket or the Vineyard. The question of which one is the "better" trip comes up frequently on this forum, so you can search past postings for different opinions. Travel time from Hyannis is about the same if you use the high-speed ferry.

In my view, they are both lovely islands and you won't go wrong either way. And yes, hiring bikes is a great idea. Both islands have extensive cycle paths as well as bus systems to help you get around.

Dublin
2. Re: Car ferry from Provincetown to Boston?

OK and thanks for all that info. Our travel agent here in Ireland had mentioned a car ferry btwn Boston and P'town - but I was suspicious when I couldn't find any reference to it on the web! Maybe we can vary our driving route on the return Hyannis-Boston leg to make the trip more interesting and see some more of the Mass. area/coastline. I think we will take one day to drive up to P'town from Hyannis anyway, I guess it is worth seeing and we can stop en route to explore some of the other places/beaches. Any ideas of good spots to stop off? Re. the islands, well we will definitely go to one - at least now I know that the ferry journey time to both is about the same as that would have influenced our decision...

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 1
3. Re: Car ferry from Provincetown to Boston?

Hyannis to Provincetown is about an hour and a half (without traffic, that is). On the way are several cute towns, but the main thing to see is the Cape Cod National Seashore, which is about half way.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 57
4. Re: Car ferry from Provincetown to Boston?

This same question was posted on the Boston Forum not too long ago. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g41778-i483-k28122…

We get it from time to time. I often wondered why so many different people had the same idea that there was a car ferry to Provincetown ... now I know ... it's that travel agent in Dublin ;) Please set him/her straight. :)

Boston
5. Re: Car ferry from Provincetown to Boston?

If you drive from Hyannis up to P'town yes, do not skip a visit to the "National Seashore" -- on the map you will see it takes up a large part of the whole eastern coast of Cape Cod. But what I mean is, go in one of the main entrances, like in Eastham, and go look. Amazingly beautiful. there might be a little fee, since it's basically a national park. I like the entrance that includes "Marconi Station" which marks the spot where the telegraph was first set up in the USA -- kind of interesting, but the landscape is just gorgeous and you can get down to the beach if I remember correctly. There are some seafood shacks along the route going up to P'town -- you could stop for lunch at one of those. That's a very New England thing. maybe a lobster roll or even a steamed lobster. But make sure you allow time to actually spend in Provincetown. There are some parking lots behind the main drag -- just ask anyone. Also just outside P'town is the last spot on the National Seashore, called Provincelands. Awesome beauty, very Atlantic, very Cape Cod. You can't walk there from town, so use your car (or rent bikes out of P'town) to get there. It's fun biking in that area and then there is the huge huge beach at the end of the preserve. But P'town itself is great and so entertaining. Very pretty, too. This is a pretty ambitious itinerary, but I guess you can always just wander around the Cape and if you're not just stuck in traffic it will be OK. One other tip -- the lower part of the Cape (I mean, between the mainland and Chatham) has a couple of east-west roads. While Route 6 is the fast highway, Route 6A to the north of that is extremely pretty and passes through lovely villages and near beaches and coves and wetlands. It's very nice for a drive if you're not in a desperate hurry. It is called the Old King's Highway.

6. Re: Car ferry from Provincetown to Boston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, November 30, 2009