We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids?

Richmond upon thames
reviews: 19
Kids?

Hello

I have a 3 & 4 year old. We been on hol Turkey & Egypt. I was thinking some where bit different. Is Lake Garda suitable for their ages? Or i was thinking cavalinnio & getting a boat to go Venice just for a day trip. I cant find many hotel oriented for kids so thinking campsites which we never done before.

Please can someone help offer any suggestions?

Also i never find cheap flights advertised to italy so bit put off as when you got kids adds up! Also weather wise is may warm?

Thanks

munich
reviews: 38
1. Re: Kids?

I've been taking my kids to Lake Garda every year since before the eldest could walk - she is now 20 years old. Also have an 18 year old son so 2 kids since 1994.

Firstly we did Hotels, then camping and for the last 10years in Maxicaravans on a campsite. Obviously easy for us as it is only a 4 hour drive from Munich but when we lived in the UK I once drove from Northwest England to Lazise on lake Garda.

We always stay at www.campingspiaggiadoro.com

We've stayed there every year since 1993. Did a couple of other sites but always went there as well - even when it didn't have many facilities.

This site is family owned and NOT affiliated to any booking companies ike Keycamp, Allcamp, Eurocamp, Thomsons Alfresco etc.

It is an easy 10min walk along the Lake side into the village of Lazise.

In front of the site/lakeside is one of the very few "sandy" lakes side beaches. Most other lakeside areas are stony/pebbles.

Camping Spiaggia d'oro does not however supply sheets, pillow cases, bath towels so if you choose this type of holiday you may prefer to choose one of the organised sites using the booking companies.

A popular place with Brits/Irish offered by all the booking companies is Bella Italia site in Peschiera although some people have described it as a bit "butlins"

http://www.camping-bellaitalia.it/en/

BOOKING COMPANIES - ACCOMMODATION

Please note that should you choose this type of holiday then sometimes the booking companies are acting purely as agents and sometimes they actually have their own selection of Bungalows/Maxicaravans on the site. You have to peruse each booking company to see what they have to offer. Some people (Brits/Irish) actually now book directly with the campsites themselves.

It is very very important whether you choose a camping type holiday or even a hotel that you check the EXACT location of any site/property. Do NOT rely on the Hotels/sites own website blurb or even the "town" address as an indication of location.

In italy small one horse towns/isolated properties do not have their own postal town and have to take the nearest town as their postal address. You could end up miles from where you thought you were going.

e.g.

Between Lazise and Peschiera there are small villges but these do not have a "postal" town. The postal towns are Lazise and Peschiera.

Lazise addresses spread up to 5km south of the town towards Peschiera.

Malcesine addresses in the north spread over 6km either side from the main town.

Sirmione addresses spread all the way down tot he via Brescia/via Verona main road between Peschiera and Desenzano ( ~ 4km)

That's just 3 examples

FLIGHTS/AIRPORTS

Verona airport is by far the most convenient for Lake Garda.

Some people choose to fly with Mr O'leary into Bergamo but beware of false economy.

It is ok if getting a hire car but public transport can be problematic with some of Ryan Air's flight times.

There are two main train stations on the lake. Desenzano and Peschiera. These are on the Milan - Venice Intercity line. The west and east side of the lake are served by local buses. The West side service not as good as the east side. Neither runs late.

So depending on flight times into Bergamo and where you choose to stay on the lake for instance you could end up with a very expensive transfer either on arrival or departure days.

Campsite receptions tend to shut around 10 or 11pm.

WEATHER

The weather around the lake is unpredictable. I've spent every Whitsun on the lake since 1993. For the most part Hot and sunny although the odd year rain.

A north/south divide on the lake is not unusual. The weather at the North end of the lake is heavily influenced by the alps. In May I've sat in 30C sunshine in Lazise whilst just up past Garda town it is raining. Even once saw new snow on the hills around Riva.

Getting into June/July/August more steady hot weather.

Thunderstorms of biblical proportions are not unusual throughout May to September. They occur as result of a prolonged period of very hot weather. They are spectacular but often very short lived and actually nicely clear the air of humidity.

WHERE TO STAY

I would suggest either Lazise or Peschiera. Lots of sites in the area. Easy access from Peschiera train station.

The 162 bus starts (formerly 62-64) in Verona and goes via Peschiera and services the East side of the lake.

…verona.it/atv_www/…62-64.pdf

The LN026 starts in Verona and goes via Peschiera (stopping outside Bella Italia) carrying on to Sirmione and Desenzano

trasportibrescia.it/upload/…LN026.pdf

Note the 162 bus service is winter timetable. In summer it has a bit better evening service running a little later as far as Garda town

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Salou
reviews: 37
2. Re: Kids?

giftzwerg, that is an excellent post, I have saved it to my Lake Garda folder. I am also wondering if you have any thoughts on the Altiminico campsite, we are currently undecided between here and Bella Italia any feedback would be welcome, thanks in advance. We will be hiring a car by the way.

3. Re: Kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda