We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

Singapore
reviews: 30
Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

Dear advisors,

Due to work, I have a weekend in early Jan 2013 in Dulles and would welcome any suggestions to kill time. I should be able to complete my shopping at Leesburg outlet and Tyson during the weekdays and was wondering if it's a good idea to visit the Great Falls or perhaps do the touristy stuff in DC or visit the Museums or just have a quiet afternoon tea at Ritz and laze around?

I am staying at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling-Dulles Airport and will be doing all activities alone.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited: 11:02 am, December 16, 2012
4 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
1. Re: Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

Will you have a rental car? Your options vary greatly depending on how you'll be getting around.

Singapore
2. Re: Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

Yes I will be renting a car. I am open to catch the metro into DC if parking will be an issue.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
3. Re: Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

On the weekend with a car you have many, many options. It ultimately depends on what you like to do most and how you like to spend your time.

Great Falls is always lovely, but in January it is possible you will find it too cold to fully enjoy it -- the best part of the park in my view is the ability to get out into the woods and onto some of the rocky areas and hike / climb around. If the weather happens to be good during your free weekend it is certainly worth spending the small amount of money to park there and wander around for a bit.

The same goes for doing "touristy stuff" in D.C. The major monuments and memorials will be open and are usually worth a visit if the weather is good. If the weather is poor then picking a Smithsonian Museum or two that interests you may be the way to go. The most popular Smithsonian museums are the Air & Space Museum, Natural History Museum, American History Museum, and National Gallery of Art. There are more. You can easily spend a full day in any one of them.

In terms of getting into D.C. from Sterling on a weekend, I'd consider driving all the way in to the city rather than driving to the Metro, parking, and then riding into the city. It may end up costing you more to drive (parking for a day on the weekend could be as much as $20, but you might also be able to find it for free on street in some places depending on wherre you go -- just pay careful attention to signs), but will give you greater flexibility.

Those are just a few of your choices. Let us know what interests you most and we might be able to provide other suggestions. You should also consider posting on the Washington DC forum as that gets more traffic from local experts than the VA forum.

Singapore
4. Re: Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?

Thank you warthog. Museums sound great too. I have also posted my message on DC forum as suggested. Hopefully I get better traction there.

If we do not chat again, wishing you and all at home a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :)

Edited: 11:12 am, December 19, 2012
Reply to: Things to do over a weekend in early Jan 2013?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loudoun County