We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alexandria to ? on a motorcycle in an afternoon

Washington DC...
reviews: 75
Alexandria to ? on a motorcycle in an afternoon

I am looking for a scenic motorcycle ride from Alexandria to somewhere about an hour or so away. I have heard the ride down Rt. 50 is nice but I am not terribly familiar with that part of Virginia once you get past Fairfax. I don't know much about Middleburg but I've heard it is nice.

We are hoping to stay off the interstate and stick to roads such as 50, or other two-lane roads out that way.

Once I get a few ideas for towns I will do some restaurant research, but suggestions are definitely appreciated.

What else is out there aside from a nice lunch that would make the town a good destination for an afternoon motorcycle ride?

Our interests are wine bars (not for this trip), coffee shops, galleries, independent films, local (and vegetarian) food, and antique malls.

We will be in Staunton in a few weeks so we are not looking to go that far for this trip.

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
1. Re: Alexandria to ? on a motorcycle in an afternoon

Do you like curves, or do you want more of a straight cruising road? If you like curves, I'd take the GW Parkway from Alexandria north to the Beltway, then go south one exit to Georgetown Pike west through Great Falls. a scenic and curvy route. You can then take Route 7 out to Leesburg and on to Shepherdstown, WV via Route 9 and 480. Shepherdstown may have the feel you are going for; depending on traffic I'd put it at about 90 minutes from Alexandria. You could also consider a visit to Harper's Ferry or even stopping in Leesburg and walking around the old downtown.

Washington DC...
reviews: 75
2. Re: Alexandria to ? on a motorcycle in an afternoon

Thanks so much, this sounds like a great itinerary. I am practicing being the passenger on the back of a bike in preparation for an all day scooter trip in Bermuda, so the longer I spend on the back of the bike the better.

Ashburn, Virginia
reviews: 65
3. Re: Alexandria to ? on a motorcycle in an afternoon

Middleburg is cute. You could alway wind your way up to Lovettsville and eat at Market Table Bistro. Great place for wine loving foodies! Rolling hills, vineyards, farms... lovely out there! (Route 50 stinks until you get past South Riding, by the way.)

Reply to: Alexandria to ? on a motorcycle in an afternoon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loudoun County