We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to a job in Reston. Is Leesburg viable?

Salem, Massachusetts
reviews: 58
Relocating to a job in Reston. Is Leesburg viable?

Hi! It looks like we may be moving for two years to follow a job in Reston. We have two kids (10 & 6). We are wrestling with choosing urban, suburban, or rural. We have a desire to be gentlemen farmers while there (goats, chickens, veggies, etc), but we are becoming smitten with what we are seeing online about the community of Leesburg. We are open to any opinions or recommendations on where to look or what to avoid in our search. Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Round Hill, Virginia
reviews: 5
1. Re: Relocating to a job in Reston. Is Leesburg viable?

If you are looking for enough space to do goats and chickens, I'd advise you to look west of Leesburg. Hamilton, Purcellville, Round Hill and Bluemont are the towns of choice. I commuted from Bluemont from Reston for 10 years and it really wasn't bad-about 1 hour each way but it was expensive taking the toll road. Western Loudoun is beautiful and much more rural than eastern (Ashburn, Sterling, most of Leesburg).

Salem, Massachusetts
2. Re: Relocating to a job in Reston. Is Leesburg viable?

Thank you. That is great advice, and we really appreciate hearing the commuting advice from someone who experienced it. :)

It seems that the selections online are somewhat limited, so we will be making a house-hunting trip after Thanksgiving to see things for ourselves.

Purcellville...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Relocating to a job in Reston. Is Leesburg viable?

Dear kimmerU,

Loudoun County is a great place to live, work and raise a family. Make sure to stop in at the Visit Loudoun visitor's center at 112-G South Street, SE in Leesburg. You will be able to find lots of great brochures on our towns and villages as well as things to do while you're here. If you contact the visitor's center in advance and let the host know you are relocating, she can drop some brochures and maps in the mail for you.

Good luck!

Salem, Massachusetts
4. Re: Relocating to a job in Reston. Is Leesburg viable?

Oh! That's wonderful! What a great idea. I will contact them to get some advanced material.

Round Hill, Virginia
reviews: 5
5. Re: Relocating to a job in Reston. Is Leesburg viable?

When you visit for your house hunting tour, put Bluemont Vineyards on your list for a place to relax and enjoy the spectacular view. Your kids are the perfect ages to enjoy Great Country Farms-just down the hill from the vineyards-but not sure if they will be open as it's getting towards winter. I've got no affiliation with either-but you could stop by the Post Office in Bluemont and say hey. I'd be glad to raise an eyebrow if someone has given you cockimany ideas about raising livestock in hoa controlled subdivisions.

Salem, Massachusetts
6. Re: Relocating to a job in Reston. Is Leesburg viable?

Thank you! I've mapped out Bluemont winery for our visit (looks like it will be the first week in December If we pass by the post office, I will definitely pop in to say hello. I'll be the frazzled looking chick with the heavy Boston accent. :)

I think if we end up with goats and chickens, we would only do so in very rural areas. It may be just a pipe dream, but I guess you never know.

Thanks again for all your help. If anyone else thinks of anything to share, please feel free. We are open to all opinions, recommendations, and warnings.

Maryland
reviews: 6
7. Re: Relocating to a job in Reston. Is Leesburg viable?

This forum is intended for tourists only. Questions about relocations are much better answered on the website http://www.city-data.com/forum and then select there "Northern Virginia".

I just want to add one thing. Loudoun County was recently THE fastest-growing county in population in the entire USA.

Edited: 11:00 am, November 16, 2011
Salem, Massachusetts
8. Re: Relocating to a job in Reston. Is Leesburg viable?

Thank you very much for the relocation link. I appreciate it. I will be a tourist the first week of December, and definitely appreciate all of the great advice and insight the local area experts offered.

I'm looking forward to coming down :)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
9. Re: Relocating to a job in Reston. Is Leesburg viable?

You'll want to do the drive from the Leesburg area to where you'll be working in Reston and back during rush hour, and maybe also up Route 28 to the Ashburn area and down to Route 50 and out towards Haymarket / southern Loudoun. Our region's traffic is the worst in the country, and parts of Loudoun are no exception. Route 9 towards / from West Virginia, for example, can get really bad during the week. I know you want farming, but if I were working in Reston I'd be looking to live in Reston itself, or in Chantilly, Oakton, Vienna or Great Falls. Finding a commute that avoids the major arteries like the Dulles Toll Road and the Greenway can save you hours every week, which really adds up over the course of two years.

Reply to: Relocating to a job in Reston. Is Leesburg viable?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loudoun County