We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Question From Out In Left Field

Which Creston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 16
Driving Question From Out In Left Field

I'm considering staying in or near Creston for one night during July. I love back roads, as long as they're PAVED. After Creston we'd be driving to Revelstoke, and what I'd like to do is travel north on 3A, take the ferry (I love ferries, too--especially FREE ones!), then north on 31, west on 31A, north on 6 at New Denver, north on 23 at Nakusp, to the ferry and on to Revelstoke.

Questions: Are ALL of these roads paved?? If not, which aren't?

Thanks!!

querqeekid

7 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
1. Re: Driving Question From Out In Left Field

Ok, I've done the 3A up to the Balfour ferry and then in to Nelson and that's a nice, winding country back road. Just make sure to get to the ferry terminal a good hour before your desired ferry or you may find yourself waiting for the next one. On a much earlier trip I did the drive around to Nakusp and I'm pretty sure that's all paved. I haven't done the route north to Revelstoke via the Shelter Bay-Gallena ferry, but I see that Google streetview has done that section of road, so you can check it for yourself. :>

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 87
2. Re: Driving Question From Out In Left Field

We drove that exact route in October 2009, and it was all paved. I actually don't consider any of those to be "back roads"... they are all numbered routes, i.e. highways, albeit undivided highways with a single lane in each direction.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
3. Re: Driving Question From Out In Left Field

"I actually don't consider any of those to be "back roads"....

Very much agree they're just country highways-quite well kept and scenic.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
reviews: 66
4. Re: Driving Question From Out In Left Field

It's a great route choice - gorgeous scenery, relaxed pace... one of my favorite areas of BC. Don't get in a hurry on this drive, take your time and enjoy sights. The Sirdar Pub is a short drive out of Creston along the 3A - their food is fabulous, we always try to stop there for lunch when we head out that way.

Sechelt, BC
reviews: 33
5. Re: Driving Question From Out In Left Field

As previous people have said these aren't back roads. They are highways - paved and well travelled. You have chose a beautiful route.

Rockies BC
reviews: 5
6. Re: Driving Question From Out In Left Field

Yes the roads are all paved. I don't know what people mean by "country hightways" or "not back roads" but they are not divided highways, at times there won't be much of a shoulder. But there are no problems with driving them in summer. The fact that they are "numbered" in my experience doesn't mean much - some "numbered" roads in BC are gravel and are little more than loging roads - we drove highway 31 I think it's called, north from Kaslo and through the Lardeau to Beaton & then the Galena Bay ferry (early summer) and in places the road was almost washed out from runoff - DH has never forgiven me for that one! I think it was a particularly bad year. But where you are going will be fine. And enjoy all the ghost towns en route - my favourite part is the Highway of Ghosts between Kaslo to New Denver.

If you need a place to stay in Creston check out the Bella Vista B&B (see my review) and for dinner try Aldo's - it's fabulous (call first & confirm they are open - they were shut for a couple weeks holidays in Jan & I was bitterly disappointed!)

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 16
7. Re: Driving Question From Out In Left Field

Thanks everyone. As always, the TA gang comes through in the clutch. The Boss will feel a whole lot better reading your reassuring comments!

Reply to: Driving Question From Out In Left Field
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Creston