We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day HIke in Yoho National Park, Canada

Which Field hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
reviews: 2
Day HIke in Yoho National Park, Canada

We are strong hikers but are short on time.Does anyone have a suggestion of one or two hikes we might make given that we only have one day on Yoho. We are good to hike all day but cannot hike hut to hut. By the way we will be there in late July.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.

10 replies to this topic
Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
1. Re: Day HIke in Yoho National Park, Canada

That's easy. Take a hike to Takakkaw Falls. This is the second highest waterfall in western Canada. The Yoho Valley access road is located just east of Field. Here is a link with directions and a map....

www.waterfallswest.com/waterfall.php?id=106

Here is a photo of where you'll hike to....it's been a long time but I believe you'll need about 4 hours to do this properly (meaning spending some time at the Falls)

field.ca/images/large/falls_takakkaw_lg.jpg

Tripadvisor reviews of this lovely waterfall....

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g182193-d54…

Edited: 11:30 pm, January 28, 2013
Austin, Texas
2. Re: Day HIke in Yoho National Park, Canada

Bless you! Looks great. I can't wait. I just wish we had a few days there not just one.

Burlington, Canada
3. Re: Day HIke in Yoho National Park, Canada

You'Re very welcome. The hike isn't overly difficult and it might take about 45 minutes each way. It's a nice spot to have a picnic. If more time permits you can also hike to Twin Falls. Enjoy your time at Yoho. It's magnificent country.

Edited: 12:26 am, January 29, 2013
Burlington, Canada
4. Re: Day HIke in Yoho National Park, Canada

I just realized you have all day so I would really recommend going to Twin Falls. That's a moderate hike about 5.2 miles from where the Takakkaw trail begins. You could do both hikes if you wanted. That would make for a really nice day of hiking.

Here are some links giving details about the hike.

http://www.banff.com/hiking/twin_falls.shtml

http://hikealberta.com/forum/twin-falls

http://hikealberta.com/files/1_55.jpg

Edited: 12:37 am, January 29, 2013
Austin, Texas
5. Re: Day HIke in Yoho National Park, Canada

Fantastic. Thank you again for your input. We will definitely do the entire thing!!

If only we had more time :( Oh well better one day than none!!

Logan, Utah
reviews: 24
6. Re: Day HIke in Yoho National Park, Canada

We got married in Yoho and did a wedding day hike to Laughing Falls.

If I had all day, I'd probably start at Emerald Lake, hike along the lake up to Yoho Pass between Wapta and Michael Peaks, then maybe on to the Iceline trail a bit. You'll get awesome views everywhere - Emerald Lake, Takakkaw Falls, peaks, lakes! You could always get to the Iceline Trail from the other side, but this way you get to see Emerald Lake. Reward yourself with a meal and drink at Cilantro on the Patio when you return to Emerald Lake!

http://www.pc.gc.ca/~/media/pn-np/bc/yoho/pdf/activ17_e.ashx

(hiking PDF will prompt you to save or open)

Hudson Valley
reviews: 1
7. Re: Day HIke in Yoho National Park, Canada

"Good to hike all day" is a bit relative, but we really liked Burgess Pass.

San Francisco...
reviews: 6
8. Re: Day HIke in Yoho National Park, Canada

It appears that you all have experience in this region. My husband and I would like to do a week's hiking trip in the YoHo valley area but we keep reading that you shouldn't hike with only 2 people by yourself because of bears. How much a threat are bears on the trails in this region? Would you hike with only 2 people in your hiking party?

100 Mile House...
reviews: 17
9. Re: Day HIke in Yoho National Park, Canada

When are you going? Bears will be out in Sept/Oct in full force trying to fatten up for winter. We don't hike, but when we're out on our ATV in those months, we usually take bear spray with us.Since you're walking you can wear bear bells and make some noise. Black bears you will mostly see their rear end as they run from you. Grizzly's are sometimes a little different, and will stand their ground. Best if you see one is back away slowly and go another route.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
10. Re: Day HIke in Yoho National Park, Canada

Rosemary ~

Here is a Parks Canada website with good bear info.

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…bienvenue-welcome.aspx

If you find a sign at a trailhead that says "tight groups of 4" your two must wait at trailhead for other hikers to join up with. Make sure their plans are compatible with yours. Hiking speed, fitness level and distance,

Reply to: Day HIke in Yoho National Park, Canada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted