We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eloping at emerald lake

Which Field hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
perth
eloping at emerald lake

trying to plan our wedding elopement in canada during sept and was wanting to know if people could tell us if this is possible... we are looking at staying at lake louise the night before then getting wedding cars to take us to emerald lake for the ceremony around 1pm and then just make our way back to banff for dinner at fairmount with stops at lake lousie and moraine lake for photos .

any info on this and anything to do with eloping etc would be great this is just going to be us and one set of parents only so very small party.

thanks

10 replies to this topic
vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
1. Re: eloping at emerald lake

You should post in the alberta forum that's where lake louise is

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
2. Re: eloping at emerald lake

But you'll have to check into what the legal requirements are for getting married in BC, because Emerald Lake is in BC. I imagine the closest place where you will be able to get a BC marriage license is Golden. Seeing as how you seem to be planning all your other activities for Alberta, it might be easier to pick a spot in Alberta for the wedding too; I imagine there is a registry office in Banff where you can get an Alberta marriage license, and there are numerous officiants in Banff whom you can hire for the ceremony.

Here are the relevant links:

http://www.servicealberta.ca/542.cfm

http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/marriage/howto.html

Edited: 1:40 pm, February 23, 2012
calgary
reviews: 2
3. Re: eloping at emerald lake

Why not stay at Emerald Lake instead of going back to Lake Louise or Banff. It is the most beautiful spot to get married (and much quieter than LL or Banff). One of my all time favorite memories is sitting on the balconey of our cabin at Emerald Lake while a wedding was going on the grassy area beside the cabin. They had a harpist playing Ode to Joy, the sun was shining over the mountains and the tears were streaming down my face (and I had to do with the wedding!).

perth
4. Re: eloping at emerald lake

Thanks for the help guys I didn't web realize it wasnt still in Alberta so thats a big over sight ;) we are actually flying into Vancouver first so we would just be able to get the certificate there correct?

perth
5. Re: eloping at emerald lake

Was just wanting a nice private ceremony at emerald lake but then head back past the lake lousie just for photos and also moraine lake for photos. Might stay at moraine lake though yet instead of going to banff... So many decisions :(

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
6. Re: eloping at emerald lake

kodi, if you are planning on getting married on the grounds of Emerald Lake Lodge, you will need to get permission from the lodge to use their grounds, or else risk being asked to move along. As they sell wedding and elopement packages, they're not likely to be too keen on weddings just popping up out of nowhere. (See http://www.crmr.com/emerald/weddings/ ) It is in a national park, but the lodge has a leasehold for that land so for all intents and purposes, it's like private land. Of course, if you are not on the hotel grounds, but elsewhere near the lake, they have no say about that. However, you have no way of ensuring "privacy" in a public place in the park - although of course most people will be respectful if there is a wedding taking place, there is no guarantee. If, for instance, you are standing near the lakeshore getting married, and someone wants to stand near you to snap a photo of the lake, there's nothing you can do to stop them ... they have as much right to be there as you.

I also looked on the Yoho NP website to try and find wedding information for you, but could not. Here is the page from Banff National Park - the regulations would be similar in Yoho, but I don't know if you need to apply:

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/activ37.aspx I would suggest contacting Yoho NP for more information (there is a "contact us" page on their website www.pc.gc.ca/yoho ). Further to my comments above about privacy, note that when you plan on having a ceremony outdoors in the national parks, in most cases, you cannot reserve the space, it's first come, first served. Here in Jasper NP, one of the most popular spots for weddings, Pyramid Island, has an area with benches and a pavillion, and there can be three or four wedding parties lined up and waiting on some popular dates (such as Saturday afternoons on summer long weekends), as well as tourists just sitting there picnicking etc.. The local wedding officiants try to work together to avoid booking too many weddings there in too short a time period.

And yes, you can pick up your marriage license in Vancouver. I imagine you will have to have a BC marriage commissioner to perform the ceremony... Field and Golden are the two closest BC towns to Emerald Lake. (I am not sure if an Alberta marriage commissioner is permitted to do wedding ceremonies in BC... I doubt it.) I found the following list of three in Field and Golden: http://preview.tinyurl.com/7yfuq49 I'm sure they will know all the details of planning a wedding at Emerald Lake, and would suggest you contact and book one of them as soon as possible. (Just as an aside - I went to a wedding here in Jasper NP late in September last year; the marriage commissioner who married my friends is an acquaintance and I spoke with her for awhile after the ceremony. She told me that she was booked for 5 ceremonies that day, 4 of them at Pyramid Island, and that the other commissioners in Jasper were also all doing multiple ceremonies that same day.)

Edited: 9:56 pm, February 23, 2012
Rockies BC
reviews: 5
7. Re: eloping at emerald lake

Kodi, make sure when you get your marriage license you ask about how to get a marriage certificate from Vital Stats (which is different from the paperwork the Marriage COmmissioner will have for you). Right now in BC it's actually quite straightforward to get one, you can even apply on line (which might be the advice you are given), but things could change in future, so it makes sense to get one now - you never know when you will need to have the "real thing" ie the official one from Vital Stats.

Logan, Utah
reviews: 24
8. Re: eloping at emerald lake

I'm actually looking into eloping to Emerald Lake (or Moraine Lake) at the moment as well.

I've mapped out some lodging/venue places. Most seem to have elopement packages as well.

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Here's EL's elopement offer:

www.crmr.com/pdf/ELL-ElopementPackage.pdf

Logan, Utah
reviews: 24
9. Re: eloping at emerald lake

We did it! We got married at ELL and stayed for 3 nights just this past August 2012. We did the elopement package they offered - upgraded to a king room with a view - and added a 3rd night - that's how much we enjoyed the stay.

Highly recommended. Tyler will take care of the details for you.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
10. Re: eloping at emerald lake

Congratulations, ginadog1, on your marriage! I wish you many happy years together and hope you'll be coming back to the Canadian Rockies many times to celebrate your anniversaries!

Reply to: eloping at emerald lake
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted