We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fernie or Panorama?

Which Fernie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 5
Fernie or Panorama?

Hi, I could really use some input. My family and I are staying in Kimberley early Jan 2013 to do some skiing. We have timeshare there. What will Kimberley be like at that time of year?

Second, after we leave Kimberley we want to spend another 5 - 6 days skiing elsewhere. We will have a car, so are tossing up with either Fernie or Panorama. Which has the best snow for skiing and best apres. Would like to be ski in/out, but not necessary. Would prefer better snow and atmosphere. Any suggestions would be fantastic.

If we were to stay in Fernie, would it be better to stay in town and drive up to the mountain or stay on the mountain itself, just thinking what would be better in regard to nightlife.

Thanks, Copa.

Toronto
reviews: 7
1. Re: Fernie or Panorama?

If you are looking for nightlife, don't stay on the mountain at Fernie. It's very quiet.

The skiing at Fernie is good (especially if you like it steep) however. The resort gets a lot of snow (but if it doesn't snow the powder goes quickly).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 3
2. Re: Fernie or Panorama?

Rode both Fernie and Panorama two years ago. Between the two I would choose Fernie,...better terrain, better fall lines, more like a mini Whistler. Avoid weekends as it is packed.

As for on site accomodation/slope side accomodation, Panorama has Fernie beat.

Enjoy

Rockies BC
3. Re: Fernie or Panorama?

Kimberley is a nice family mountain - lots of varied terrain, stay in the back (accessed by the Easter chair & the Tamarack chair) to avoid the ridiculous overpass ("culvert of death") in the front - it's an overpass only 20 ft wide that ALL skiers have to go over to get to the high speed quad, it turns to either mush or ice by 10 am & is an absolute pain. Generally the snow is pretty decent by Jan (I don't ski until after Xmas because of lack of snow until then) - you will find plenty of fellow Aussies on the hill - including ex pats who have moved here. They don't always groom a lot of the runs but the back has a lot of decent & varied terrrain - a number of black diamond runs as well as blue runs - the Dean Left is a great run as is the Notre Dame. choose Fernie over Panorama - Fernie gets more snow than Kimberley, also Panorama is quite a drive to town (so is Fernie as far as I am concerned - living in Kimberley I am spoilt - I can get from my garage to the chair in less than 10 min - & that includes taking the time to put on my boots!) Try the Kinbari sushi restaurant in downtown Kimberley, also the Pedal & Tap - nice food, but the P&T is a bit loud for conversation.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 322
4. Re: Fernie or Panorama?

Will spend every weekend at Pano this season with kids ski program and really like it but would still choose Fernie for steep and deep, it just has better terrain and great powder. You need to be a good skier and like off piste skiing and deep snow to make Fernie your choice, it may be very different from what you're used to.

Pano is a good hill too and has a bar and a couple of restaurants on the hill and good condos to rent / hottubs etc but bot really lively

Rob

Sydney, Australia
5. Re: Fernie or Panorama?

Thanks guys. Another question.

We are buying our skis and boots o/seas. We are staying in LA early Dec and were going to buy skis, boots and poles there. We arrive in Canada Christmas eve, so really want to have all our stuff ready for Boxing Day skiing.

Would we be better just buying just the boots in LA and then buy the skis themselves in Canada (we will be in Silverstar for Christmas and arrive Kimberley 4th Jan. I have been told that Boxing Day has some fantastic deals for skis.

Also, what would you expect to pay for skis and boots, looking at either demos or last years stock. Over here in Australia they are very expensive. I have seen Lange super blaster 120 for $279 in states but they are retailing for $599 over here.

Any help would be great. We are thinking of doing 3 days in Fernie and 5 days in Pano, just to get a sample of each. Looking at staying at the Griz Inn (1 Bedroom condo) in Fernie and 1000 peaks summit in Pano. Any suggestions on either. Thanks for the help. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 322
6. Re: Fernie or Panorama?

1000 peaks a good location and nice condos on the same level as the base of the mountain so easy access - good choice, see you in Pano !

Griz Inn similar location, can't comment on standard, have a look at reviews here.

Rob

Sydney, Australia
7. Re: Fernie or Panorama?

Sorry it's taken so long to get back, have been flat out at work and trying to organise this holiday. We ended up getting timeshare at Timberline lodge in Fernie for a week starting the 11th Jan.

Any recommendations about what we could do besides skiing, where would be some good places to eat, good things to do with children aged 8 and 11. Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks

B.C.
8. Re: Fernie or Panorama?

In Fernie, There are many excellent places to eat, Yamagoya and Curry bowl are the most popular places. On the weekend you will definitely have to take in a ghostrider hockey game, they are always very entertaining for adults and kids! There is also an aquatic center with a pool, waterslide and hot tub! Hope this helps out a bit!

Sydney, Australia
9. Re: Fernie or Panorama?

Are the restaurants in town or on the mountain, and if in town, what is the easiest way of getting into town without driving.

B.C.
10. Re: Fernie or Panorama?

There are a few restaurants on the hill that are great places to eat, but quite more of a variety in town. There is a shuttle that goes from town to the hill, its only a five minute ride into town.