We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eagle Eye Bear Trips

Which Campbell River hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 26
Eagle Eye Bear Trips

Hi,

The wife and I are going to the Island in Sept and are taking the zodiac boat tour from Eagle Eye Adventures out of CR.

Knight Inlet Lodge, Rip Tide, and Aboriginal Journeys are booked so don't suggest them please.

Has anyone taken this trip from Eagle Eye or gone to the Butte Inlet area to see bears? This appears to be our only shot and I don't want to miss out.

Much thanks for your replys, can't wait to go!

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
reviews: 111
1. Re: Eagle Eye Bear Trips

www.grizzlytours.com Knight Inlet Lodge.com and Grizzly tours are two different companies.

I am not familiar with Eagle eye.I see more companies offering tours from Campbell River the difference is you will take a fairly long boat trip to view grizzlies.Knight Inlet is said to have the biggest concentration of grizzlies,but again I see more operators offering service to Bute Inlet .so part of the experiance would be the boat trip thru a few rapids and encountering other marine life etc.

Columbus, Ohio
2. Re: Eagle Eye Bear Trips

Thanks for getting back to me.

I think any Knight Inlet area tour, whether we stay at the lodge or not, is out as they are all booked.

Someone rfecommended herriot out of Campbell river, think I'll look them up.

Thanks again

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
reviews: 102
3. Re: Eagle Eye Bear Trips

check out www.painterslodge.com as they also do eco-tours.

Columbus, Ohio
4. Re: Eagle Eye Bear Trips

Will do now that I've received some negative stuff about the boat trips to the estuary.

I understand the bear viewing opportunities aren't as good as going to the bear stands so maybe I'll haver to bite the bullet and pay up if I can still book one.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
5. Re: Eagle Eye Bear Trips

Joey-it's not clear if Heriot Bay inn-over on Quadra Island-is doing their own tours or acting as agent-which is common in such a small place.

islandadventurecentre.com/wildlife_tours_gri…

Details on the brochure say they're going to the Orford River in Bute Inlet-same as Eagle Eye-so no doubt they're using the same platforms/guide.

If I was you I'd phone-not email- and ask for more details re:guides/viewing platforms/prices/times.

BTW-While the ferry ride to Quadra is short it does mean more logistical challenges and more lineups.

Avoid Painters Lodge-a corporate controlled 'it's all about numbers' operation.

Columbus, Ohio
6. Re: Eagle Eye Bear Trips

Hi Sam,

Eagle Eye doesn't use platforms, they don't have permission to land. They stay in the estuary, in the zodiac boat, and don't pay the First Nations fee to use the viewing stands.

That's my concern, will we still have the same bear viewing experience as one that takes you off the boat, onto a shuttle and takes you to the viewing area?

Columbus, Ohio
7. Re: Eagle Eye Bear Trips

Hi Sam,

I did make a call to a company out of Telegraph Cove. He's booked solid too.

He recommended skipping the Eagle Eye tour and said the estuary tours are very limited and the "hot spots", where you would see 15-20 bear at atime, were upriver where the stands are.

He couldn't sell me anything himself, wonder if he just has a grudge against Eagle Eye or was telling the truth?

Rotterdam, The...
reviews: 69
8. Re: Eagle Eye Bear Trips

Hi JoeyG

The estuary definitely does not give you the same experience as from the viewing stands. We went there some years ago with Tiderip, also in September, and did not see any grizzly bears in the estuary, just a few blacks well before the inlet on the way in.

Perhaps you can try to be waitlisted with Tiderip? It would be worth it!

Columbus, Ohio
9. Re: Eagle Eye Bear Trips

Thanks,

Finally someone who had the experience I was looking for!

I have booked with Heriot Bay Inn for a two night stay/ one day bear trip package. They are on Quadra Island and will go to the Butte Inlet viewing stands.

Not as pricey as Knight Inlet Lodge by a long shot and accessible from Campbell River, a $6, 10-minute ferry ride.

How many times will I be here, spend the money I guess?

Columbus, Ohio
10. Re: Eagle Eye Bear Trips

Thanks to all the people who chimed in on this post, I appreciate the feedback and opinions.