We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days Newfoundland. What to do?

Which Stephenville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis Mo
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
7 days Newfoundland. What to do?

My fiance and I are fying into St. John on 6/24 and have 7 days to explore! I know this isn't enough time to see Newfoundland so I figure we'll concentrate on the Avalon Peninsula. Can anyone help with an itinerary?WE don't do alot of hiking but love a good view ,good food, good pubs and picturesque places to stay. I regret we probably won't see Gros Morne and L'Anseaux meadows. Thank You, Vicki

11 posts
1. Re: 7 days Newfoundland. What to do?

For good views, Signal Hill in St. John's is the obvious one close to downtown. When you're up at the tower, there is a choice to walk back down the way you came up or go down past the Queen's Battery. Take the Queen's Battery path for a nifty view into the narrows and the harbor on the way back.

If you go out to Cape Spear, you've not only got great views, but you can see back to the tower you were at on Signal Hill.

Not quite the same kind of view, but at Cape St. Mary's Ecological Reserve there is a spectacular sea stack covered with nesting seabirds just off the cliff where you are standing (after walking through the lovely sheep pasture from the visitor's center...). The birds actually glide all around you while you are looking.

We also took a boat tour out of Bay Bulls (we used O'Briens but there were others) that go to the offshore ecological reserve. The boat gets quite close to the puffin nests on one of the islands, and we also had the opportunity for humpback whales that day.

Beautiful, beautiful country...

Gloucestershire, UK
6 posts
1 review
2. Re: 7 days Newfoundland. What to do?

If you are looking for a superb place to stay - good host, fantastic scenery try Elaines's by the Sea (Bed and Breakfast). - about 30 mins drive from St John's Beware - we went to Newfoundland last year, fell in love with the place and the people and ended up buying a house there!

Get answers to your questions about Stephenville