We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deerhurst or Delta resorts?

Which Huntsville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester England
reviews: 5
Deerhurst or Delta resorts?

We are a young family of 4 coming to Toronto in July. We are hoping to spend about 10 dats at a resort and like the look of both these resorts. Does any body have any info as to which would be best with 2 children aged 5 and 9 years. It is a holiday of a life time and we don't want to make the wrong decision.

UK Family( Manchester UK)

toronto
reviews: 1
1. Re: Deerhurst or Delta resorts?

Hello!

I have been to Deerhurst and was disappointed. It has a real "convention" feel to it. The food was uniformly terrible. Also, the size of it meant that we had to drive from our room to the main lodge.

There are 3 Delta resorts in Muskoka - I have been to Rocky Crest. It was o.k. but I wouldn't recommend it either. I hear that the Delta Grandview Inn is very nice but I have never been.

My sentimental favourite is Windermere House on Lake Rosseau. The dining room is really good (probably the best dining room in Muskoka). It is not a mega resort, but it has charm.

What is your family looking to do?

toronto
reviews: 1
2. Re: Deerhurst or Delta resorts?

Also, a couple of other large resorts are

Clevelands House - great kids programs and activities for the kids! The rooms are pretty basic and it is quite expensive. Nice atmosphere. My biggest issue was the food, it wasn't very good and that is something that I look forward to on vacation.

and,

Taboo Resort - (used to be Muskoka Sands)

There is lots to do at this resort. The regular rooms are pretty small basic though. The suites look nice but I have never stayed in one. They have several pools and a nice waterfront.

ontario
3. Re: Deerhurst or Delta resorts?

I have been told the POW WOW resort is wonderful in huntsville ontario. Has all the family indoor and outdoor fun great food and muskoka feeling. Look on the internet and see for yourself. Please have a great time in canada.

Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 101
4. Re: Deerhurst or Delta resorts?

I was at the Deerhurst in October and had quite a different experience. Yes the property is enormous but they have an efficient shuttle service to take you wherever you might want to go. There is plenty to do for all ages and I found the food quite good. Probably the best is actually the restaurant which is part of the resort's golf course.

London, Canada
reviews: 61
5. Re: Deerhurst or Delta resorts?

With children the age of yours a place with activities is essential. We really liked Grandview, partly because it had roomy suites for a family. We could stock up on groceries for breakfast, lunch and snack food for the kids without paying a fortune for every meal. However if it's your holiday too and you truly don't want to even make a sandwich, go with a resort where all the meals are provided.

Friends love Pow Wow Point Lodge and are quite discerning diners so I think the food would be to your liking. They have always found the resort had lots of activities for their children from a very young age to teens, with cottages as well as rooms available for rent.

See: http://www.powwowpointlodge.com

All three of these are within a short drive to Huntsville and the area is gorgeous. As a family resort, the Deerhurst may be a little more "adult" than you want, but it's certainly a lovely property.

As mentioned there are several others that have great reputations like Windermere and Clevelands House.

Hope that helps.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 7
6. Re: Deerhurst or Delta resorts?

We have stayed at Pow Wow and at Bayview Wildwood and recommend both highly. Pow Wow is smaller but ver nice, Bayview Wildwood has both indoor and outdoor pools bigger and nicer beach area. Both had excellent meals.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 7
7. Re: Deerhurst or Delta resorts?

incase I lost you I meant very nice!

England
reviews: 35
8. Re: Deerhurst or Delta resorts?

Having been to Deerhurst for a spectacular Sunday brunch I can say the food on that day anyway was wonderful and I haven't been to anything so grand anywhere else on a Sunday morning. The resort looks huge and there did look a lot to do there but I did not have young children to entertain and was more impressed with the wonderful colours of the fall. I am also from England and my sister lives on the Lake of Bays near Huntsville. The whole area is a wonderful place with lots to do on the Lakes and don't forget Algonquin Park as that is beautiful,as are the rivers and waterfalls.

Canada
reviews: 8
9. Re: Deerhurst or Delta resorts?

Deerhurst is beautiful and the food is great (purchase the food plan-you can choose anything from the menu--up to 3 courses I think).

However, also being a mom, I don't think that you'll want to stay so far away from the city. Deerhurst is either romantic or Convention- like. Not too much for the kids to do for a whole 10 days. North Bay is very far from Toronto. Too far to drive into and out of the city more than once. In fact, if you do decide to stay up North, please consider cutting the 10 days in half and spend the rest of your time on Toronto proper. You'll also be much much closer to the airport for your flight back to the UK.

Try this website:

features.todaysparent.com/tf/events.html

Toronto
reviews: 6
10. Re: Deerhurst or Delta resorts?

For about six years our family of four stayed at a wonderful old resort on Lake Joseph called Pinelands. Alas, it was torn down to make way for time share condos.

Last year we stayed at Severn Lodge, which is quite a bit smaller than Clevelands House and the Deerhurst, but had a good kids' program, delicious food and quite nice rooms. I've visited both Clevelands House and the Deerhurst and, while neither is know for outstanding cuisine, they're big resorts with lots to do. From what I've heard from friends, Clevelands House has the most family-oriented, resort-like atmosphere and is on beautiful Lake Rosseau. It also has pools for adults and kids, lots of tennis courts and golf, and a very organized, active children's program. The only negative I've heard lately is that the enormous Red Leaves resort complex is under construction around Clevelands House in the hamlet of Minnett. I don't know how much progress has been made, though.

I know what you mean about wanting to make the right decision for the holiday of a lifetime. I hope you enjoy your vacation here in Toronto and in Muskoka.