We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Massasauga near Parry Sound - interest in geology

Which Parry Sound hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
reviews: 31
Massasauga near Parry Sound - interest in geology

My husband has an interest in geology and would like to access Wreck Island near Massasauga. It looks like this is only accessible by water i.e. canoe/kayak. Is that correct and if so how long would the trip take and would it be advisable for those with little canoeing experience? Where does one rent the canoe/kayak?

Also, are there other sights near Parry Sound of geological interest that might be easier to access.

We plan on visiting this area end of May/early June, 2010. What can we expect for weather?

Toronto
1. Re: Massasauga near Parry Sound - interest in geology

First, I am not up on my geology. I am not sure what would constitute as being of interest, so my ideas are likely different than yours.

Massasauga is lovely. It is accessible by Canoe/kayak and these can be rented from Whitesquall outfitters in Parry sound. White Squall also offers guided tours and instruction. You may do well to contact them to see if they are doing a trip to Wreck Island that you could tag along for.

The wreck of the Waubuno is just off wreck Island, and could be of interest if you bring snorkelling gear.

I find the ewarth-history of the French River fascinating and would suggest a trip from highway 69 out to G-bay if you are so inclined. Take along the book "French River: Canoeing the River Of the Stick-Wavers" by Toni Harting. The book gives a simple but beautiful history of the river including the geology of the area, the formation of the delta and cross-channels, the native and logging history, and its recent history.

Do contact Whitesquall, whatever you decide to do though.

Waterloo, Canada
2. Re: Massasauga near Parry Sound - interest in geology

In regards to the weather, the past couple of years our springs have been on the coolish and rainy side. That being said, late May/ early June could be nice with temp's in the 20's. However, a rather large caveat to being able to actually enjoy the outdoors that time of the year is dealing with the nasty blackflies. All I can saw is that if you want to spend anytime outside, Deet will be your best friend. We have a cottage outside of Parry Sound and while we do go up there in May and June, most of the time is actually spent in the cottage staring out at the lake instead of canoeing on the lake.

Brampton, Canada
3. Re: Massasauga near Parry Sound - interest in geology

Other sites of geological interest? Up around the bend on Georgian Bay you'll find Manitoulin Island. The white Cloche Mountains are nearby, but the Island is the northern most part of the Niagara Escarpment. There's a trail called the "Cup and Saucer Trail" that will take you to the top of the escarpment to an amazing view of the Island and Georgian Bay.

4. Re: Massasauga near Parry Sound - interest in geology

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 18, 2010