We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canmore versus banff

Which Canmore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northbrook, IL
reviews: 30
Canmore versus banff

What are the advantages/disadvantages to staying in Canmore versus Banff during the summer?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 86
1. Re: Canmore versus banff

This is a popular question and there is a Traveller Article that deals with it:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154910-c14815/Banff-N…

I see it's not listed in the "Top Questions" here on the Canmore forum... but it soon will be. :)

Northbrook, IL
2. Re: Canmore versus banff

Thank you very much. That is an excellent article.

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
3. Re: Canmore versus banff

Antoher nice thing about Canmore that the article doesn't mention is it's proximity to Kananaskis which is also a lovely area to explore and discover.

www.albertaparks.ca/kananaskis-country.aspx

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
4. Re: Canmore versus banff

Good point, Krusty! I'll update the article to reflect that.

I see that the official K-Country website has been improved. But it's still pretty awful.

Edited: 12:34 pm, August 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
5. Re: Canmore versus banff

I finally gave myself a thump upside the head and checked Travel Alberta's website, which does a much better job of describing K-Country than Alberta Parks' own website:

travelalberta.com/Places%20to%20Go/Parks/Kan…

Northbrook, IL
6. Re: Canmore versus banff

Thank you for your additional input.

Canmore, Canada
reviews: 41
7. Re: Canmore versus banff

B. A. N. F. F. Be Aware Nothing For Free

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 86
8. Re: Canmore versus banff

The same can be said for Canmore - or anywhere else, for that matter. (Rather ironic, coming from someone in a town that's riding the coat tails of its more famous neighbour...) What's that expression? ... "there is no free lunch" - ? And actually, although the paid tourist attractions in Banff (and Jasper) National Park(s) are very heavily promoted, there is no end of hiking trails, picnic sites, lakes, waterfalls etc. that you can enjoy for free.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
9. Re: Canmore versus banff

Last I heard, Banff, Canmore, and Calgary for that matter, do not have free accommodations or free meals for visitors. But the budget traveller can find lots of ways to save money and still enjoy Banff:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c52486/Banff-…

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
reviews: 6
10. Re: Canmore versus banff

I have lived in both Canmore and Banff and they can both be expensive as everything tends to be in the Bow Valley. I really wouldn't say that one is more expensive than the other.

Banff certainly has a lot more options for food choices, perhaps making it possible to find something cheaper, but there are always ways to try to stretch your dollar in either place.

I can tell you that in the end I actually prefer to live in Banff, but some locals do not because they feel it is too touristy. It doesn't bother me and I actually enjoy the lively feel it brings to the town. That being said, It can get hard to get into certain restaurants, etc. at peak times.

I like the way Banff is all connected and you can easily walk around most of the town. Canmore feels a bit disconnected to me, with the downtown section and then what feels almost like a separate town on the other side of the highway, that's just my 2 cents of living experience.

I suppose if you are just looking for a cheaper place to put your head down at night the motels/hotels along the Bow Valley Trail in Canmore could be cheaper options than what you might be able to find in Banff.

As discussed above Canmore would be more convenient for exploring the Kananaskis area.

It is still busy in Canmore in the summer, but not nearly like downtown Banff gets. But don't forget Banff National Park is huge, there are many areas at and attractions where if you just slightly step off the beaten path you can get out of the tourist crowds.

I feel if most of what you are going to be doing is in and around Banff then why continue to run back and forth from Canmore. If the only purpose is to save a few bucks it doesn't make sense to me. Just stay in Banff and take advantage of being close to all the shops and restaurants, etc.

If you are a larger family and want the feel of home, perhaps staying for an extended time, etc or need a place with several bedrooms then a vacation rental condo in Canmore might be a good fit with a full kitchen, washer/dryer, etc.

I don't think one is better than the other for any particular reason. Overall it's best to pick your choice on what town suites your taste and if it is convenient to where you will want to spend your time and the accommodation you find works for you.

Cheers