We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prince George?

Which Canmore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bend, Oregon
reviews: 4
Prince George?

Hello. I really like Canmore [hiking and the vibe of the town]. Would I like Prince George the same way? Thanks.

Bend, Oregon
1. Re: Prince George?

I just went to the PG forum and found out that it's best NOT to go there. If anyone does read this, are there any suggestions for a Canmore like town between Edmonton and Prince George, down to the border of the states?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
2. Re: Prince George?

If you're looking for a mountain town ... Banff and Jasper in Alberta; Golden, Fernie, Nelson, Revelstoke, Whistler, and many others in BC. What exactly do you mean by a "Canmore like" town? If it's hiking you're looking for, there are thousands of kilometres of trails in Banff and Jasper National Parks.

Bend, Oregon
3. Re: Prince George?

Thanks for responding. Besides hiking, I'm looking for a non touristy town with a nice vibe, with outdoorsy people who live there. I like Canmore and Vernon. Banff is too touristy and "hoity toity". I've traveled once thru BC and Alberta, and we are planning another trip, and hoping to find another hidden gem.

Blind Bay, BC
reviews: 5
4. Re: Prince George?

Consider coming out to the Shuswaps !

Here's some info for you to check out :

http://shuswaptourism.ca/

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
5. Re: Prince George?

Banff is too "hoity toity"? My husband likes Banff because he feels it is far more casual and relaxed than Calgary. However, to each their own, I guess.

Bend, Oregon
6. Re: Prince George?

I agree with your hubby that Banff is more casual and relaxed than Calgary, but for me, I'm looking for another step down on that outdoorsy scale!

Bend, Oregon
7. Re: Prince George?

Suiteasitgets - Thank you. This is near our proposed route and we will definitely check this out.

Edited: 1:33 pm, July 24, 2012
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
8. Re: Prince George?

You might like Jasper then. Our relative isolation (compared to Banff) means we get half the number of visitors per year that Banff does. People often describe Jasper as being "quaint" and more casual, and less touristy (it was originally a railroad town, although now it is mainly tourism that drives the local economy so there is a lot of infrastructure geared to visitors - accommodations, restaurants, shops etc.). We also have lots of great hiking!

I kind of had to chuckle at your question about whether Prince George is similar to Canmore. I once made a comment on one of the forums, in response to a question about where to travel in BC, to the effect that no matter where they chose, they couldn't go wrong because the whole province is pretty darn nice... and several people corrected me in no uncertain terms that you'd need to exclude PG in that statement. Aside from not being in a mountainous area, it's an industrial town with some drug and gang problems. I know quite a number of railroaders here in Jasper who work into there, and are laid over in one of the downtown hotels... most of them don't leave the hotel and walk around the downtown after dark.

You might want to check out Smithers, which is west of PG. It's a small town with lots of outdoor recreation around, another railroad town like Jasper. Even more remote than Jasper though.

Edited: 1:52 pm, July 24, 2012
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
9. Re: Prince George?

P.S. We went on a camping trip to the Shuswap area in late May, with a few days also spent in the Okanagan. It is a beautiful area and we'll definitely be visiting again, but if you are getting around with a rental car, one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the hiking trailheads are accessed with a drive up a logging road. Most rental car contracts don't allow you to leave the pavement.

Newtown, PA
reviews: 246
10. Re: Prince George?

Suiteasitgets, every day I learn something new on this forum. I had never heard of the Shuswaps region until you mentioned it. I see it's just west of Revelstoke encompassing a large area. We'll be spending 2 nights in Revelstoke.

We are definitely going to Glacier & Mt Revelstoke National Parks during our couple days there. Is there something in the Shuswaps region that makes for a "must see"? Not sure if we could fit it in, but it never hurts to ask.