We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoom August 10th-17th Canmore Area (Banff)

Which Canmore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Windsor, Canada
Honeymoom August 10th-17th Canmore Area (Banff)

Hi,

My fiance and I have booked the Stoneridge Mountain Resort in Canmore and will also be renting a car for the week for our honeymoom.

We are starting to plan our trip and making a list of things we should do and see and if anyone has any suggestions for the Canmore/Banff area it would be greatly appreciated.

Some ideas we have:

1.) The hot springs...any suggestions where?

2.) Nice romantic dinners...any suggestions where?

3.) Any easy hiking (not an all day thing but more something we can drive to and enjoy the surroundings)?

4.) Shopping

5.) Any tourist attractions that is a must see especially for honeymoon?

6.)Any daytrips with a short drive (1-2 hours) or day type train trips?

Our goal is a romantc laidback type of adventure for our honeymoon

Thanks for everyones help!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
1. Re: Honeymoom August 10th-17th Canmore Area (Banff)

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums, Billy!

I'm just on my way to bed at the moment, but check out this TripAdvisor Traveller Article on the "must-sees" of the Rockies:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c112507/Canad…

I'll try to respond in more detail tomorrow.

Windsor, Canada
2. Re: Honeymoom August 10th-17th Canmore Area (Banff)

Hi thanks for the link....lots to read and some ideas for us.

Any other help and suggestions?

Canmore, Canada
3. Re: Honeymoom August 10th-17th Canmore Area (Banff)

Congratulations! I'm sure you will have wonderful memories of your honeymoon. In answer to your questions:

1. If you would like to experience natural hot springs, you may wish to try Fairmont Hot Springs (paid), or the White Swan Hot Springs (free, sitting on the side of the river -- very neat!)

2. "The Trough" in Canmore. Best restaurant in town! And very intimate.

3. I'll let one of the hikers answer that portion.

4. Take a stroll down Main St in both Banff and Canmore. Down one side of the street, and then up the other. Plenty of great shops in both towns.

5. I would say that the Columbia Icefields are a 'must see'. Not really romantic, but worth visiting.

6. There is no consumer train in Banff/Canmore, but there is one that heads out of Jasper for a quick mountain trip (a few hours) www.viarail.ca. The only train that stops in Banff is the Rocky Mountaineer.

Have a great time!

Windsor, Canada
4. Re: Honeymoom August 10th-17th Canmore Area (Banff)

Thanks Rockies Rental, will check out those ideas you mention above online as they sound really cool!

Sure I might have some more questions here shortly.

Alberta
reviews: 73
5. Re: Honeymoom August 10th-17th Canmore Area (Banff)

1.) Banff Upper Hotsprings

2.) Rustica Steakhouse (Love steak and the view! See my review)

3.) TONNES of nice hikes in the area.

Grassi Lakes - beautiful destination right outside Canmore

Morraine Lake - (Lake louise) drive to, amble out and enjoy (not really a hike unless you want to make one)

4.) Defer to people who like shopping.

5.) I'd recommend a one night stay at the Num-Ti-Jah Lodge on Icefield Parkway. I've stayed there twice and if you can handle the location's tendency to be uber-rustic, inconsistent and expensive it is a prime location to see the best light-show, the STARS, at night. Because of it's high elevation and isolated location, I promise you won't see anything like this in town. Most romantic moment ever holding your honey in complete solitude outside watching the milky-way. This can also be done with an uber early morning drive... lots of wildlife on the corridor too.

6.)Lots of day trips too. Take a drive to Field BC and the spectacular Takakkaw Falls, eat at Field's Truffle Pigs restaurant.

romantc laidback type of adventure

Pretty much, you can make that just by enjoying each other's company. There's lots to see if you like scenery and lots to do if you like adventure. Come with a relaxed attitude and you'll have a good time.

Edited: 3:54 pm, April 29, 2012
Alberta
reviews: 73
6. Re: Honeymoom August 10th-17th Canmore Area (Banff)

Sorry on #6 I missed the word TRAIN and focused on 'DRIVE'

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
7. Re: Honeymoom August 10th-17th Canmore Area (Banff)

There will be no shortage of things to do and see and your week will magically disappear!

For romantic dinners, I love to send people to Storm Mountain Lodge or Baker Creek Lodge. You'll want to get a map to see where these places are located, but they are easy destinations to add to a day of sightseeing in Banff National Park.

Picnic. There's nothing more magical than a picnic at Emerald Lake or Lake Louise. If I could persuade you to take a slightly longer hike, I'd highly recommend a hike in the Lake Louise area. Some of the best places to see in the National Park are with your own 2 feet. Lake Louise has 2 high alpine Teahouses that you can walk to: Lake Agnes or Plains of Six Glaciers. Quintessential Rockies.

Picnic. Take a full day to drive to Bow Lake, Peyto Lake and the beautiful Icefields Parkway. It's an entire day exploring with the car, but this is a place you don't want to miss. Pack a picnic and pick your spot - it's all amazing!

In Banff - the Juniper Restaurant has a great view and nice ambience. The Beaujolais is very romantic and the Balkan if fun for a more lively night out. Splash out and go out for dinner at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. You could park the car in downtown Banff and have a nice stroll out to the hotel for dinner. I love the Castello Italian Restaurant. The lounge at the Rimrock is sweet place for cocktails and appetizers.

Rent a canoe in Banff in the evening. Romantic.

For hikes, it's always worth it to get up early and drive to the very small, but very sweet Johnson Lake. It's only 20 minutes from Canmore on the Lake Minnewanka Road.

Another short hike that is amazing: you can circumnavigate Emerald Lake by foot. It's a wonderful, scenic and flat walk. Don't miss it. Drive to Emerald Lake, enjoy a short walk around the lake, rent a canoe, enjoy lunch at the incredible Emerald Lake Lodge. After, take a drive to Takakkaw Falls and stop at the Natural Bridge. Pack chocolate and snacks. And maybe a bottle of wine. A Perfect day. One hour 20 minutes from Canmore.

Another "must-do" short walk: Johnston Canyon. Start early for crowd avoidance. Hit the trail before 9:00 or be prepared for many, many people.

Pack an evening picnic and park at the Two Jack Lake Viewpoint. Awesome. And romantic.

Shopping hours are long in Banff - the stores are open all day, every day. It's nice to get out in the day time (especially if the weather is good) and save your shopping for the evening.

The 3 tourist attractions you absolutely shouldn't miss:

-make sure to take a couple of hours and do the Banff Gondola. It's amazingly quiet in the evenings - and it's a great way to avoid the crowds. Romantic in the evening!

-Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. Take the day. Plan a hike. Dine at Storm Mountain or Baker Creek on the way back to your condo in Canmore.

-the Columbia Icefields. While the Glaciers are further than 1-2 hours, you don't want to miss this scenery. Pack a picnic and plan on taking all day. It's the best in Banff National Park!

Windsor, Canada
8. Re: Honeymoom August 10th-17th Canmore Area (Banff)

...lots to read and go over. I love the idea of the Num-Ti-Jah Lodge!

Will defintely be coming with a laid back relaxed feeling and sounds like there are many things for us to do and check out! These type of adventure - take it as it comes thing is what we love the most over other types of vacations we have done in the past.

Gonna be busy tonight reading!!

Thanks guys for all the help!

Windsor, Canada
9. Re: Honeymoom August 10th-17th Canmore Area (Banff)

Hey guys in the final planning stages which I will post. But looking at map and trying to fit in everything was curious to know from a driving standpoint if Canmore is a good home base to stay at or if it would haev been better to look more northern to Banff or more southern (example Fairmont Hot Springs Resort).? Just curious as want to stay somewhere centrally that allows for most feasible day trips to the big sightseeing things.

10. Re: Honeymoom August 10th-17th Canmore Area (Banff)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 19, 2013