We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

View of the Three Sisters..Where?

Which Canmore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barry, Wales, UK
reviews: 2
View of the Three Sisters..Where?

I have seen a photograph in an Alberta travel guide of the 3 Sisters mountains with a reflection in a lake or river and would love to visit the spot and capture the image when we visit in September.

Can anyone give me an idea? There are no buildings in the picture just the water backed by trees and the mountains in the background and reflected in the water.

Looking forward to our 2nd trip to the Rockies.

Peter

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
1. Re: View of the Three Sisters..Where?

Is the image similar to this one?

…wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The-Three-Sisters-S…

Barry, Wales, UK
2. Re: View of the Three Sisters..Where?

That's the view. To me I only have to look at the picture to remember our trip last year and its scenes like that that has drawn us back to revisit again in September.

We made a short few hour trip to Canmore last time so next trip will spend more time there and would love to get into this view point. As well as being into photography (in a small way) I enjoy painting landscapes as well.

Peter

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
3. Re: View of the Three Sisters..Where?

As you've probably already noticed, the caption says it's from the Bow River. So at least we know it's not Spray Lakes or Grassi Lakes that you're looking for, but that doesn't narrow it down much. You might try using Google Street View in Canmore to get a bit of a better idea of exactly where along the Bow it might be.

Here's something to get you started: http://g.co/maps/um9vp

Edited: 11:34 am, February 25, 2012
Barry, Wales, UK
4. Re: View of the Three Sisters..Where?

Thanks CW

That gives me an idea where to go. Last visit to Canmore we only walked the main shopping street and saw the mountains down the road at the traffic lights, spoilt the picture so really looking forward to spending more time in the area.

Once again many thanks

Peter

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
reviews: 5
5. Re: View of the Three Sisters..Where?

I believe the "money shot" as they call it of the Three Sisters is usually taken from Highway 1A. From the town of Canmore drive east on Bow Valley Trail, you will come to a roundabout, proceed straight through.

There will be car dealerships on the left and then a the heli skiing company. Shortly after that on the left hand side is a big gravel area and off leash dog spot where you can park. I believe it is somewhere across the street from there where you can seek out a spot to take the photo. Sorry I don't have the exact location, I have not done it myself from that area.

Cheers

Barry, Wales, UK
6. Re: View of the Three Sisters..Where?

Thank travelbug.

Have looked at the site on Google Earth and it seems to fit in with the view I'm looking for. Just have to find the river for that reflection shot and I will be made! It looks like its just down the path opposite the parking area you suggest.

Peter

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 56
7. Re: View of the Three Sisters..Where?

The Wikipedia shot is stunning; it's a sunrise picture.

In midsummer, the sun comes up there around 6am, so for a picture like that, you'll need to get up early, real early.

Edit: September sunrise is about 7:20am.

Edited: 12:10 am, February 27, 2012
Barry, Wales, UK
8. Re: View of the Three Sisters..Where?

Thanks Viajero....

As we are both retired we don't usually have to rush to get up but those views are worth making an exception for and the 3 sisters won't be the only ones I guess, trying to beat the coach parties etc.

Then on our return home we can spend as much time as we like, just relaxing and looking at the photos and remembering our time in the Rockies, something we have been doing since our first visit last year.

Many thanks

Peter

Canada
reviews: 6
9. Re: View of the Three Sisters..Where?

It's a bit tough to explain, but I know exactly where that is! You drive down Bow Trail ( towards Exshaw) until you pass the bow valley ford dealership. Just as you get to Cougar Creek you'll see parking on both the left & right hand side. The right hand sided is private property ( Canadian Pacific Railway) but the left is a dog park. You can park in the dog park. Then you cross the highway, and the train tracks. Word of caution here, I believe it is technically illegal to,cross the train tracks. Bylaw & CP are very cautious, as we have had a few deaths on our tracks. If you decide to cross the tracks, please be verify careful! You'll find a trail on the other side of the tracks that will lead you to this exact viewpoint. It's A short, easy trail.

Barry, Wales, UK
10. Re: View of the Three Sisters..Where?

Thanks smitten..

Have looked at the area on google earth and now know where to make for. Will see if we can find the trail without crossing the railway line, as a retired police officer I dont want to break any laws :).

Peter