We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noisy hotels in Canmore?

Which Canmore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maastricht, The...
reviews: 4
Noisy hotels in Canmore?

Hi everyone,

next month we will be travelling in BC and Alberta and planned a 2 nights stay at the Bear Country Lodge in Canmore.

After reading some reviews I'm a little bit worried about the noice the trains makes during the night.

Are all hotels in Canmore noisy because of the train? Should we book another hotel or even choose another place?

Who can help me out?

Thanks and regards from the Netherlands,

Nupke

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 67
1. Re: Noisy hotels in Canmore?

If you're planning to stay on a Friday or Saturday night, you will be happy to hear that train traffic is much reduced at night on those days. I can't speak to the Canmore situation specifically, but my family has long had a cabin right next to the same train line.

Comfortable ear plugs (the moldable waxy ones are my favorites) and sleeping pills, not to mention a day spend in healthy exertion, all help me to sleep through the train noises.

lost in Ohio
reviews: 2
2. Re: Noisy hotels in Canmore?

The trains DO NOT run on any schedule. Canmore is getting so sprawled out now, there are lots of hotels nowhere near the tracks. Go google your hotel and you'll be able to see exactly where the RR is.

Glasgow, Scotland UK
reviews: 15
3. Re: Noisy hotels in Canmore?

Bear Lodge backs right onto the railway line and has a busy road at the front.

We stayed at the Georgetown Inn last week for a couple of days. Its across the road from the Bear Lodge and my son, who had a room at the front of the hotel was woken every time a train went by. We were at the back and had no Air Con - with windows open the trains were heard a bit so no big deal. If you want to get away from the train noise in Canmore book a place thats either on the East side of Bow Valley Parkway or on the West side of the town centre. Basically avoid the railway line.

The trains are huge, US style freight carriers - I wouldn't want that going past my room each night.

hartlepool, united...
reviews: 107
4. Re: Noisy hotels in Canmore?

We stayed in the Canadian Rockies Chalets, and our rooms overlooked the railway line! To be honest, the trains never woke me during the night at all. I think this is because the air is so pure, it just knocked us out and I slept so soundly like I've never slept before. We crammed so much into our days I fell asleep the moment my head hit the pillow...!

We were, however, always up at the crack of dawn (about 6ish) due to the trains, but it was worth it to see the sun start to come across the tops of the mountains. Being up so early every day (even after being in the pub 'till the small hours) just gave us more time to enjoy this fantastic country.

Wherever you stay, you are guaranteed an amazing time!

5. Re: Noisy hotels in Canmore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, September 07, 2009