We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JAC to Yellowstone

London
reviews: 31
JAC to Yellowstone

Hi. Will be landing at JAC around 21.10 late July. Need to pick up a car and then head to Yellowstone where I have accommodation at old faithful snow lodge booked.

Would appreciate views on whether it is practical to do the journey at that time of evening/night. I anticipate that with bag pick up, car pickup (which I understand if offsite from May) I probably won't be getting away until 22.30.

I know that this will mean I miss viewing Grant Tenton but I have a day to do that on the return journey.

Any thoughts/guidance appreciated.

Many thanks

Leicester, United...
reviews: 64
1. Re: JAC to Yellowstone

Hi,

Please don't mind but I think your plan of leaving @ 10-30 PM from JAC to YNP is seriously inviting trouble. Are we talking here about travelling from London, UK directly to JAC? That means a jet lagged body as well.

If you read posts from some of the experts like TetonBill the one thing they strongly discourage is driving at night. What's the rush ? Stay overnight somewhere nearby. Pick up the car next morning and go to Snow Lodge, where you can't check in before 4 PM any way.

Cheers

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
2. Re: JAC to Yellowstone

Don't drive in the park after dark as there are big, dark animals that walk down the middle of the road.

London
reviews: 31
3. Re: JAC to Yellowstone

Thank you for the responses.

Travelling to JAC following a stop over in NYC. However, unanimous response that not a good idea to continue travelling once I get to JAC. Appreciate the advice. I guess I was hopeful of waking up that first morning and watching old faithful!

Now starting to look at motels around JAC airport.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
reviews: 2
4. Re: JAC to Yellowstone

You've made the right decision. A full grown male bison weighs as much as a car, so hitting one at 40+ mph would make a really bad start to your vacation.

There are no motels near the Jackson airport. Your best bet is to overnight in Jackson, which is 9 miles south of the airport.

5. Re: JAC to Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 11, 2014