We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swim beach?

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO
reviews: 7
Swim beach?

Will be there end of July. Can you actually wade into the lake, or is it too cold?

Lake Tahoe, NV
reviews: 19
1. Re: Swim beach?

My kids and I swim almost every day in the lake!

Of course the water is always very crisp and refreshing but VERY swimmable. Thousands of people water ski, wakeboard, and swim to their hearts content every day all summer long.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
2. Re: Swim beach?

In other worlds, it is cold. Think of a mountain stream in Colorado. But once you get in and used to it, it is very refreshing.

"People do it all the time".

Edited: 7:38 pm, June 22, 2013
California
reviews: 12
3. Re: Swim beach?

Even when it's in the 80s it can feel darn hot in Tahoe at the altitude. This pushes you into the refreshing cool of the lake.

We like Meeks Bay for a nice family beach or if you start early in the day you can get a parking spot at DL Bliss. If on the north east side try Sand Harbor.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
4. Re: Swim beach?

Water temps in late July are in the low to mid 60s at the surface. A lot warmer than cold mountain streams in Colorado.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
5. Re: Swim beach?

Yes, I know the temps are warmer in Tahoe than a mountain stream in Colorado. I grew up in the mountains of Wyoming. Just trying to reassure rockies that they can take it <grin>.

Oceanside, CA
reviews: 2
6. Re: Swim beach?

We usually stay in South Lake Tahoe at the Lakeshore Lodge. The water is quite shallow there so it's warmer and quite pleasant compared to deeper parts of the lake.

Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
7. Re: Swim beach?

Baldwin Beach is kids friendly and very popular. Get there early for a spot under the trees or bring your own umbrella. We found the lake too cold to waterski/wakeboard without wetsuits but swam at this beach.

Denver, CO
reviews: 7
8. Re: Swim beach?

Puter! I have received much advice from you when traveling to SF (all good), so into the lake it is. Thanks!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
9. Re: Swim beach?

Sand Harbor is our favorite beach at LT because of the crystal clear water and rock formations along the shore. They have all the facilities there to make your day enjoyable.

http://parks.nv.gov/parks/sand-harbor/

reviews: 708
10. Re: Swim beach?

Meeks Bay and Sand Harbor are both nice places to go in the water. Where are you staying? :)

Get answers to your questions about South Lake Tahoe