We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Henley-on-Thames...
reviews: 6
3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Hi

We are flying to San Francisco in August and hiring an RV for 8 nights. We would like to go to Yosemite and Tahoe, but I'm not sure which order would be best or if it makes any difference? We start on a Thursday so one location would be over the weekend so that may influence things. I'd welcome any advice on which order and where to stay for 3 or 4 nights.We are a family of 4 (aged 8 and 12) and would prefer quieter locations.

Many thanks

Lucy

Henley-on-Thames...
11. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Thanks, my head is spinning now with all the choices! I'll take a look at the Gold Country too.

Lucy

N California
reviews: 41
12. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

If you went up the coast north of SF, with 8 days you might then head inland and stretch as far as Crater Lake. If you did that, I would suggest spending your days mostly on the way north. Leaving from Crater Lake you might head down to hwy 97, then on to hwy 5. There isn't much for the tourist along highway 5 in CA, but it is easier driving; it would be the quicker way back to SF.

South Lake Tahoe...
reviews: 156
13. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

For the posters who think Zephyr Cove will be too crowded in August: Everywhere up here will be crowded. Also, Camp Richardson has many activities and a shuttle to take you to some of the more popular places on the south and west shores, so you could leave your RV parked. Both of those resorts have beach access, motorized water sports, horse back riding and a slew of other things. It's been mentioned that one poster found these 2 beaches 'rowdy'. It would be interesting to find out what they think 'rowdy' means. Is it boisterous behavior? Some people who use courser language than them? (sorry, but that's everywhere) Or, is it a case of 'You kids get off my lawn!'? It's a beach, for heaven's sake. There's no nudity allowed, they're family resorts, and frankly, other people can have a good time in a different way than you and not hurt anyone.

And, yes, if you can swing a camping spot inside Yosemite, you should do it, and use their shuttle system, too. See what you want to see. And, if it becomes too prohibitive to drive a monster sized RV around, consider the option of driving a car, and staying in the 2 places you really wanted to see. Don't let folks discourage you from what you want to see because of their concept of how they would spend their vacation.

Henley-on-Thames...
14. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Thank you so much for your post, I was feeling a little despondent previously! I then decided that I would see if I could get the camping that I wanted in Yosemite and if so stick to my original plan. When the booking opened today I manged to get 4 nights in Yosemite, I know it will be busy and I know that an RV can be restrictive but our children are at the age where they will love it, in another year or 2 they won't want to be stuck with us in an RV.

I'm now back looking at Lake Tahoe RV sites, I think 2 nights in 2 sites each would be perfect. I know it will be busy but I have always wanted to go to Lake Tahoe and probably won't get the chance again for a very long time!

Lodi, California
reviews: 15
15. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Our favorite place to RV in Tahoe is Meeks Bay Resort. Very nice and quiet camp sites with its own beach. Full hook ups, some drive troughs, small store and watercraft rentals....Camp Richardson is also nice. They have beach,small store,food,ice cream and bike rental very close. The Bike trail will take you to the Taylor Creek Stream Profile Chamber.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
16. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Beaches at marinas tend to be very congested. The ones at Zephyr Cove and Camp Richardson in particular get very crowded with teenagers playing radios and shouting f-bombs. Maybe "rowdy" isn't the right word since, it's true, they are just having a lot of fun. Our family prefers other beaches where there's more room to spread out.

I'm not familiar with Meeks Bay Resort but I've camped at most of the National Forest and State Park campgrounds. I much prefer Nevada Beach to Zephyr Cove or Camp Richardson. The campsites are very large, some are lakefront, and the huge beach is close by if your site is in the forest. It's not as large as the other campgrounds and it's in a very convenient location. It would be my choice with this size RV and no tow vehicle.

Henley-on-Thames...
17. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Thanks, I'll give Meeks Bay a try. We have 4 nights, would you recommend staying there all 4 nights or splitting the stay between 2 resorts?

Henley-on-Thames...
18. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Unfortunately I've tried Nevada Beach and it's fully booked. I'll give Meeks Bay a try.

Another quick question, I see it's about a 4 hour drive to Yosemite which will mean longer in the RV. We could stop over for a night before going into the park through the Tioga Pass Entrance, can anyone recommend somewhere on the way to stop for a night? Thanks.

19. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 18, 2014