We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Hi

We are flying to San Francisco in August and hiring an RV for 8 nights. We would like to go to Yosemite and Tahoe, but I'm not sure which order would be best or if it makes any difference? We start on a Thursday so one location would be over the weekend so that may influence things. I'd welcome any advice on which order and where to stay for 3 or 4 nights.We are a family of 4 (aged 8 and 12) and would prefer quieter locations.

Many thanks

Lucy

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Better to do Tahoe over the weekend and Yosemite during the week. Getting reservations actually in Yosemite is extremely difficult. You may end up in a RV park some distance away.

For Tahoe, there's a lovely campground next to the lake at Nevada Beach. It's a US Forest campground and it takes reservations. There are also lovely state campgrounds on the California side.

The important questions are how long is your RV and will you need hookups?

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Hi

I thought that might be the case. The RV is 32 feet long, and we have a generator. Is it possible/advisable to drive straight from San Francisco on day one and then spend 3 days driving round the lake before heading off to Yosemite?

Thanks,

Lucy

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
40,019 posts
390 reviews
3. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Frankly, for the places you mention, SF, Yosemite and Lake Tahoe, I think an RV is a terrible idea. If you were going to remote places and on a very long trip it might work. I think you'll find an RV very limiting in trying to sightsee.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Yes, I'd forget about driving around the lake for 3 days in a RV on a weekend in August. Just drive up on Thursday to your campsite and stay put for 3 days. Nevada Beach would be my top choice. There's a supermarket just up the street and the beach is fabulous. You can even walk to Stateline from there if you wanted to.

Sugar Pine State Park on the other side of the lake could also be an option. It allows 32 ' RVs. If you don't need hookups, I would avoid Zephyr Cove. It's in a great location but the campground gets very congested and there's a lot of rowdy teenagers on the beach. That's true of Camp Richardson too.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
5. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

I hope you realize there are no hookups in the Yosemite camping sites and there are regulations on the hours for generators.

There are also restrictions on the road to Mariposa Grove that prohibit your rental unit from driving there.

You need to read carefully all the information on the national park websites.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
40,859 posts
928 reviews
6. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Hi again, Lucy J. Please check your other thread!

It sounds as if we are all being negative, but please don't take it that way! California has many beautiful places to see, but you've picked the busiest one of all - Yosemite. It will be virtually wall-to-wall people in August. Seriously.

I have been driving RVs for over 20 years and I agree that I would not consider spending "3 days driving round the lake" at Lake Tahoe in summer to be at all relaxing. Shudder! There is one two lane road and it will be clogged with traffic.

I asked this on your other thread, but are you at all interested in seeing other parts of the state? We can give you some great information about other areas that are far less crowded. Perhaps consider seeing the giant redwoods - click on this blue link:

shannontech.com/ParkVision/…Redwood.html

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Yes please, I am not at all tied to Yosemite (my husband and I have been before in November so it was very different!). I was feeling a bit despondent after the replies!

To give you the background we will have been in California for 2 weeks, travelling from LA to San Francisco in a car and then staying in SF for 4 days. We wanted to give the kids the experience of an RV, as we have done it before and loved it. We don't have to go to Tahoe but are tied to 8 days from SF.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Lucy

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
40,859 posts
928 reviews
8. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Do the redwoods interest you? Click on the blue link in post #6. You'll see the tallest trees on earth, wild elk, rivers, ocean vistas.

What about the California Gold Country? Click the blue link here and let it show you scenes, sort of a video... http://www.calgold.org/

The gold country has small historic towns, museums, wineries, even show caverns.

Both areas will be much less crowded than Yosemite and Tahoe.

N California
Level Contributor
474 posts
41 reviews
9. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

Personal opinion here. IF you can get a campsite actually IN Yosemite Valley, I would grab it and fit the rest of the trip around that. Yes the valley is fairly crowded in summer, but there is lots to do and the shuttle system lets you mostly leave the RV parked. If the only campsite you can get is outside the valley, then I wouldn't try camping outside and making the hour plus commute each way in a 32' RV.

The alternative of the north coast, maybe going as far as Oregon Caves and Gold Beach in Oregon, would be an excellent one. Lots of great scenery, and much less crowded than the coast south of SF.

Gold country can be pretty hot in August, but it is an interesting area. As a rule, I'd lean towards higher elevation camping in August. From the southern end you could consider a day trip into Yosemite. There may still be some white-water rafting available on the American river, which is a lot of fun. It's a good time for water-skiing or jet skis on the reservoirs in the area; most people bring up their own equipment, but there may be rentals available in some cases.

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: 3 or 4 nights in an RV in August

The Redwoods do look amazing, exactly what we are lokking for and not too far to go. I will read more about them and do a bit more research. Is there a different route to get back from there to SF or is it best to retrace Route 101? Looking at Google map it looks like you could go back on Route 5. With the 8 days we could take a couple to go there, have 4 days around the NP and take a couple days getting back?

Too many choices!

Thanks,

Lucy