We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Tours from South Lake Tahoe area

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
reviews: 36
Boat Tours from South Lake Tahoe area

We will be visiting Lake Tahoe in July (staying in South Lake Tahoe area) and would appreciate some suggestions on the different area boat tours. Thanks

California
reviews: 12
1. Re: Boat Tours from South Lake Tahoe area

My favorite is Safari Rose because you get a great tour of the west side, It's a smaller boat than the huge paddle wheel boats that take you to Emerald Bay.

tahoecruises.com/fleet/safari-rose-at-lake-t…

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
2. Re: Boat Tours from South Lake Tahoe area

What is your budget and how many are traveling with you on the boat ride?

We like the Sierra Cloud Catamaran out of Incline Village, in front of the Hyatt Hotel. They have 11am and 1 PM sails (around that time) and the evening sunset cocktail cruise which is now our favorite.

We are a family of 6 so have taken the MS Dixie out of Zephyr Cove. We visit every July. Can find discounts coupons at hotels or flyers around town. There are several decks to roam around on and lunch can be purchased. It's a nice sail across to Emerald Bay.

The Safari Rose is $105 pp, so over Six Hundred dollars is too steep for us at this time. If you were a couple, this would be a nice treat.

Have fun.

reviews: 714
3. Re: Boat Tours from South Lake Tahoe area

The MS Dixie ii is a really nice ride. Beautiful scenery and alot of fun. :)

Illinois
4. Re: Boat Tours from South Lake Tahoe area

We are traveling as a couple again for the first time in 21 years so we might be able to splurge for the Safari Rose. The catamaran looks like a neat experience though too! Thanks for the tips everyone, this has been helpful in narrowing it down.

Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
5. Re: Boat Tours from South Lake Tahoe area

Most of the boat tours leave from the south Lake Tahoe area. I have been on 4 different ones over the years (I think I am done with those) and I much preferred the smaller yacht type tours over the large paddle wheel boats. You get more personal attention, information, questions answered and the captain even let one passenger steer the boat. I think I would stay away from the dinner cruises that are offered. You can get a much better meal on shore for your money, and you are stuck for awhile at the tables rather than getting out and enjoying the views......my opinion.

edit- I see I was posting at the same time as your response. I was a little late....

Edited: 12:05 pm, March 21, 2013
Illinois
6. Re: Boat Tours from South Lake Tahoe area

Not too late at all! I appreciate your valuable insight. Good point on the dinner cruise idea. I would much prefer to spend the time enjoying the view than sitting at a table! Thanks

California
reviews: 12
7. Re: Boat Tours from South Lake Tahoe area

The Sierra Cloud is a really great trip but what you get is a nice sail around the north side of the lake. The afternoon on the north and eastern side are pretty windy and can be rough so the later the sail the better. We have done the last sail of the day and had pretty calm waters and very few fellow guests since lots of people were having fdinner. We had a blast.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
8. Re: Boat Tours from South Lake Tahoe area

The Sierra Cloud, 25 min. north of SLT in front of the Hyatt, sails to Sand Harbor two miles to the left, which is gorgeous, then over to the point whre Cal-Neva Resort is, over to the right. Frank Sinantra was owner, and Marilyn Monroe had her own cottage with a secret underground tunnel. The hotel was built half in NV and half in CA, and a stripe goes right down the middle of the swimming pool.

onroute.com/guides/…calneva-ext.jpg

Then the catamarn turns around and sails in front of the million dollar homes on Lakeshore Dr. back to the dock at the Hyatt. We've done all three sail times in July over 20 years and only had one windy but it felt good in the hot sun. They have live music in for the 5 pm sail which is nice with cocktails and appetizers.

www.awsincline.com/sierra-cloud-catamaran

When finished, dinner at the Lone Eagle Grill or Lounge area is really nice, located right behind the dock. They have some great wood fired pizza's and crocks of soup. Luke Stevens has been singing and playing guitar since 1977 in the Lounge.

http://www.tahoeluke.com/

Lone Eagle:

.http://loneeaglegrille.com/lounge/

Illinois
9. Re: Boat Tours from South Lake Tahoe area

Thanks so much for all the details! Hearing specifics about the trip really helps.

Lake Tahoe, NV
reviews: 19
10. Re: Boat Tours from South Lake Tahoe area

Well.. now that you have maybe narrowed it down to a smaller more intimate yacht or sailing experience.. here are some more smaller details.

On the South Shore specifically the two yachts are The Safari Rose and The Bleu Wave. Both offer day and evening cruises that are vastly different in price and experience.

For sailing, the Woodwind II catamaran offers both day an evening trips as well.. sightseeing, happy hour, sunset champagne..

What time of day and what type of experience are you looking for? They range from an hour and half tour to four hours and from $39 to $115 depending on what your looking at. :)